10

[ CHAPTER TEN ]GRYFFINDOR V

[ CHAPTER TEN ]
GRYFFINDOR V. RAVENCLAW

𓆏

"Evelyn, can I ask you a dumb question?" Ron hesitated, turning his head slowly to face her, he looked somewhat confident in his question. The Gryffindor Tower was crowded and noisy again shortly after New Years.

"Depends, how stupid is the question?" She narrowed her eyes."Personally, I think it's a valid question" He reassured himself mentally. Evelyn continued to look at Ron in a bored manner, waiting for him to spit out the question.

"Can you see differently out of both of your eyes... Since you know— they're different colors and all" He stammered under her judgmental eyes. Fred and George who'd been eavesdropping the conversation burst out laughing, Lee on the other hand took a moment to think about it. Harry looked like he was going through second hand embarrassment and Ginny was looking at her brother in disbelief. Ron went scarlet red.

Evelyn stared at him.

"That was your... Valid question?" She said slowly, hoping that somehow she heard him wrong. Ron nodded in embarrassment, he was as red as his hair. Evelyn blinked and shut her book slowly putting it to the side. "I'm not even gonna answer that, Ask anyone else" she then got up silently and began to walk out of the common room.

"Was that a no?!" Ron called for her

Classes started again the next day. The last thing anyone felt like doing was spending two hours on the grounds on a raw January morning, but Hagrid had provided a bonfire full of salamanders for their enjoyment, and they spent a good lesson collecting dry wood and leaves to keep the fire blazing while the flame-loving lizards scampered up and down the crumbling, white-hot logs.

Hermione had to lecture Evelyn into giving a salamander back to Hagrid after she found her trying to sneak it out with her, the lizard hiding on her shoulder underneath her hair. Evelyn continued to sulk over 'Sally' for the rest of the day.

The first Divination lesson of the new term was much less fun; Professor Trelawney was now teaching them palmistry, and she lost no time in informing Evelyn that she had the shortest love line she had ever seen.

January faded imperceptibly into February, with no change in the bitterly cold weather. The match against Ravenclaw was drawing nearer and nearer, but Harry still hadn't ordered a new broom.

"Professor McGonagall still hasn't given you your broom back yet?" Evelyn looked at Harry in surprise after hearing him complain to Ron about it. "No" he sighed, raking his hands through his hair desperately. "If only Hermione had just kept her big mouth shut" Ron scoffed, rolling his eyes in annoyance.

"You two seriously can't still be mad at her about that" Evelyn accused, crossing her arms angrily. "She had your best interest at heart, Harry. You'll get the broom back eventually"