28

[CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT]POTTER STINKS!

POTTER STINKS!

🕸

Every single head in the Great Hall had turned to look at Harry. Evelyn's face dropped. There was no applause. A buzzing, as though of angry bees, was starting to fill the Hall; some students were standing up to get a better look at Harry as he sat, frozen, in his seat.

Up at the top table, Professor McGonagall had got to her feet and swept past Ludo Bagman and Professor Karkaroff to whisper urgently to Professor Dumbledore, who bent his ear toward her, frowning slightly.

Harry turned to Evelyn then Ron and Hermione; beyond them, the long Gryffindor table all watched him, openmouthed. "I didn't put my name in," Harry said blankly. "You know I didn't.". Evelyn gave him a small nod while both Ron and Hermione stared at him blankly.

At the top table, Professor Dumbledore had straightened up, nodding to Professor McGonagall.
"Harry Potter!" he called again. "Harry! Up here, if you please!"

"Go on," Evelyn whispered, giving Harry a slight push. Harry got to his feet, trod on the hem of his robes, and stumbled slightly. He set off up the gap between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables. The buzzing grew louder and louder.

"Well . . . through the door, Harry," said Dumbledore. He wasn't smiling. Harry moved off along the teachers' table. Hagrid was seated right at the end. He did not wink at Harry, or wave, or give any of his usual signs of greeting. He looked completely astonished and stared at Harry as he passed like everyone else.

As soon as Harry went through the door out of the Great Hall everyone erupted into loud conversations. The Hufflepuffs were furious and the Gryffindors were astounded, A selective few were upset that he was underage and claimed it wasn't fair.

Ron was eerily silent and grit his teeth.

"He's not even seventeen!" A voice yelled from the crowd. "He's a cheat!"

"I can't believe him." Ron scoffed, breaking his silence. "He said he wasn't going to enter. Why wouldn't he tell me?" He crossed his arms stubbornly.

"Don't be daft, Ron. He said he didn't enter." Evelyn defended Harry.

"Of course you'd defend him" Ron grumbled. As soon as Dumbledore ordered for everyone to go to bed Ron stomped out of the Great Hall and to the common room.

"What's his problem" Evelyn said abruptly.

"He's just jealous, Ev" Hermione vocalized. "He'll come to his senses at some point."

Everyone was standing up to leave the Great Hall. "You don't think they'll make him compete, do you?" Blair asked as she, Gabi and Victoria walked up to Evelyn and Hermione. "I hope not." Evelyn said in a small voice.