Christmas of Companionship and Chaos

A/N: So, oddly enough I actually needed to look up some prompts for this one. This one will probably be a mixture of funny and sad/serious because that's kinda what I'm feeling and I feel like making something that runs a bit deeper than some of my other things. Anyways, this is kind of a twist on a prompt (and maybe with some ideas for another sprinkled in there) just because I just needed a little nudge this year. :) Modern AU...hands down.

Davey Jacobs fears Christmas Eve every year since he's met the Newsies. 

He never knows what to expect and he's always slightly terrified when all twenty something of them show up (he lost count of how many of them there actually are a long time ago which doesn't ease his poor nerves. Who else is going to make sure that each and every one of those boys is safe under his watch and care?) on his apartment doorstep. 

He just wants a normal Christmas Eve where he can have a quiet night at home with his family. 

His siblings on the other hand couldn't be more excited. 

"David! Come on! Stop standing there looking like you're going to die of fright and fill this candy bowl. Everything's going to be just fine," his sister says, delivering a quick tap to his left shoulder as she goes by. Davey shifts his shoulders nervously and does as she asked. Les hurries around, pulling presents out of the room that he shares with Davey and slipping them under the tree. He and Davey nearly collide at one point. Davey yelps and runs off to his room to be alone. 

Oh how he wishes he could have snuck off to the library to see the cute assistant and chat with her. Tiger Lily always has some kind of a book to help him escape his problems or some kind of advice to help him solve them. 

He shuts off all the lights, closes the door and lets his eyes flutter shut as he flops down on his bed. Her face slips into his mind's eye and he can imagine her pretty little laugh as he becomes exasperated over some plot twist that he felt went poorly. 

He is almost completely captivated by his musings when the lights flick on. 

"What do you think you're doing?" the voice of his younger brother breaks him out of his dreams. 

"I'm....well just...thinking," he says, trying to think of some kind intelligent answer and coming up with literally none. 

You don't even know her that well, Jacobs. You shouldn't be this captivated with someone you hardly know. 

"Yeah, well, you should be done thinkin' and start helpin' or Sarah's gonna lose her mind. Mama too," Les says in a sassy tone before collecting some more presents and racing out of the room.

"What's the difference?" Davey mutters mostly to himself, "I'm pretty sure I've already lost mine." He rolls himself up out of bed and starts moving back towards the kitchen area. 

"Now remember," Les says quietly to Davey and eyeing Sarah as he says this, "Sarah says things have to be perfect since Jacky's  coming." His voice changes to a higher pitched one as he mentions Jack's name. 

"Les!" Sarah cries, setting the plate she was carrying down a little bit harder than necessary, "Someday you'll...." she starts to say to try to dissuade the boy from any more teasing. 

"Sarah and Jack sittin in a tree. KISSING!" Les starts to chant as he runs back to the boys' room to grab more presents. Sarah sighs and grabs her dish towel off her shoulder, clenching in between her hands. 

"What are we going to do with him?" Sarah asks Davey as she slings the towel back over her shoulder. Davey sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose. 

"What else do we need to do?" he asks, trying to salvage any doubts he has before they take over his decision making abilities completely. 

"Well, the mistletoe still needs hung," Sarah says. Esther Jacobs enters the kitchen and she and Sarah share a playful look.