The Aftermath of Crutchy Making Cookies

Modern AU (Immediately after one shot mentioned in the title of this one shot)

"Oh boy," Jack groans after hearing the whole story from his younger brother.

"Romeo added da peanut buttah," Race hurriedly blames the younger boy. Crutchy groans in response and looks at Jack.

"I'se sorry, Jack. I'se don't know what I was tinking makin cookies wid a bunch o boys around. Next time, I ain't doin it here," Crutchy says. Suddenly, a loud banging sounds on the apartment door.

"I smell smoke and I've called the fire department, do you boys need help getting out?" A voice calls from the other side. None of the boys answer and every boy turns to Jack. "Hello?! Boys! Where's the fire?" Jack walks over to the front door and opens it a crack. A woman of medium height stands on the other side.

"Don't worry, Mrs. O'Keefe. We'se just made someting an it didn't toirn out quite right," Jack answers as he pokes his head out the door.

"The fire department should still be here any minute. I'm not sure what you boys did, but I want them to investigate. I do not want to come home someday to an apartment complex in flames, because somebody's dessert didn't turn out quite right," She replies. "I will not have you boys burning the apartment building down, do you understand me?"

"Yea, I do. But, ya might want ta tell da fire department ta go fight a fire dat actually exists and not a fake one," Jack responds and quickly shuts the door. He hears Mrs. O'Keefe take a deep breath on the other side of the door.

"Jack Kelly, I do not approve of that kind of behavior. Do you have any respect for adults?" She calls out loudly, and when Jack doesn't answer, she groans again. "Kids these days don't have respect for anybody." The boys all look at Jack for what to do next. Mrs. O'Keefe finally sighs and says loudly, "Fine! You win! I'll call off the fire deparment." Jack collapses against the door and gives a sigh of relief. The boys all breathe a sigh of relief as well. Jack finally gets up and takes a look at the cookies.

"So what happened here?" Jack asks as he tries to pick up the cookie sheet and drops it since it is so hot.

"Race didn't get da cookies out in time," Skittery groans.

"Da boys were tryin ta steal me cookie dough," Crutchy adds. Jack finally raises his hands for silence and the boys quiet down.

"I'se don't even want ta know what's inside dat cookie dough," Jack adds, gesturing to the cookies. The boys who had helped Crutchy make the cookies all exchange looks.

"Like I'se said before, Romeo added da peanut butter," Race adds.

"And some oddah people did some oddah stuff," Crutchy says, "Henry and Elmer threw in some M&M's in there too." Jack frowns at the cookies and examines the charred dessert.

"Dere were sprinkles in dere from somebody else," Jojo says softly.

"It was you'se, ya nitwit!" Boots yells and a couple of boys gently smack Jojo in the head.

"Listen, I'se don't care who did what, da fact is dat da cookies burned an Crutch worked hard on em," Jack says gently. "Ya also annoyed da livin daylights outta Mrs. O'Keefe."

"Dat ain't our fault," Skittery says gently. Jack starts to walk further into the apartment and trips over something on the floor.

"What on Earth?" He asks as he looks down at the object on the floor.

"Oh, ya might need a new one o dose," says Finch and Jack looks up at him.

"Still doesn't explain dat ta me," Jack says. He takes a look around the kitchen. "By da looks of it dough, dere was smoke involved wid dose cookies."