Swingin' In The Summertime

1920's AU- Everyone is still the same age or older. Characters like Jack, Race, Crutchie, and some others are a little bit older. As far as OCs go, Falcon belongs to my dear friend Musical_Theater_Nerd, Katie belongs to BeckyMerari1808, and Pups belongs to 23gatkins!! Thanks to all of you for allowing me to use your OCs. This one doesn't fit in with the timeline anywhere. Use your wonderful imagination!! Since this is my 20th oneshot, it seemed appropriate to set it in the 1920s.

Jack Kelly groans as he lays in the back of the old car that Race owns. His nineteen year old body aches with pain from the fight he got into last night. Sadly, it was a fight against gangsters and Jack had a really hard time winning. As a matter of fact, Jack didn't win. He just barely got away. Gently lifting himself over the side of Race's blue car, Jack makes sure that he isn't being followed before wandering down into an alley. Spotting the back door, Jack knocks on it in a special rhythm that Race would know it was him. His brother opens the door quickly and pulls Jack into a hug.

"Racer?" Jack says and Race lets go of him.

"Yeah, yeah. I know. Get in here. Your sister's been worried sick," Race grumbles typically not being one to worry. Jack follows Racetrack Higgins down the stairs where his younger sister is sitting in what used to be an old cellar. Elley Kelly jumps to her feet and hugs her brother tightly.

"Jack Kelly, what on Earth were you thinking, taking on a bunch of gangsters like that?" She scolds him and Jack runs his fingers through his hair.

"Elley," He starts and she cuts him off.

"No! I'm not gonna hear of it. You should have at least taken another boy or two. Take Race for crying out loud!" Elley shouts and Jack tries to shush her.

"Would you keep it down? I don't want to get caught," Jack whispers and Elley crosses her arms.

"Oh really? You get into a fist fight with a bunch of gangsters and Race talked you into helping him run a speak easy. You really think that you're the one making the great life choices here?" Elley snaps.

"Elley, I need some extra money. I also don't need anyone beating up on my Newsies!" Jack explains. Race nods his head in Jack's direction.

"He's got a point, ya know," Race says which makes Elley frown.

"I get it, Race," Elley snaps back, "I'm going out. If you need me, I'll be around." 

"Be careful. I don't want the gangsters catching you on your own. Go hang out wid some of the guys," Jack says. Elley walks half away up the steps and turns around.

"I am going to do whatever I want. Thank you very much," She says matter of factly before turning around and leaving. Jack and Race watch her storm up the stairs.

"Wow, dat was something," Race says.

"Yep. It's always something wid that one," Jack agrees, "Now where were we in getting dis show on da road?"

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Elley fumes as she walks down the streets of Manhattan. She lets her feet carry her wherever they choose to go. After awhile, Elley winds up in gang territory. She does not realize this until a seedy looking man comes out from behind a barrel in an alleyway.

"Hey gorgeous," He purrs and Elley crosses her arms.

"Look, I have enough wid people for one day. Why don't you leave me alone?" She asks and the seedy character only chuckles.