Davey aka The Walking Mouth Learns to Drive

Modern AU (obviously after the strike)

He knew he had to learn at some point and yet he was terrified to. Davey was rarely one to take risks. To him, driving was a risk. A large risk at that. He had never done anything remotely close to driving except for that one time when he rode, not drove, rode in a go kart with Jack the one time that he and the boys went. Davey had gone to Driver's Ed and had passed the test for his permit. That had only been two hours ago and Jack had been texting him all day.

Jack: Did you get it yet?

Davey: Why do you keep asking? This isn't a life or death situation.

Jack: Driving is a life or death situation, Davey. I just need to know when you are driving, so I can stay off the road.

Davey rolls his eyes and lazily tosses his phone onto his bed. Leave it to Jack to say something like that. He decided to walk over to the apartment building that all of the boys lived in. Davey had no idea how Jack did it. Living in one apartment space with at least twenty other boys. Jack treated all of them like they were his brothers and that included Davey and Les. As Davey approached the door, he could hear the ruckus of an apartmentful of teenage boys on the other side. Davey walked down to the end of the hall and opened the door that led out to the fire escape. He had better luck finding his best friend on the roof than in the throng of kids in the apartment. Although, knowing Jack he could be either place. Davey carefully climbs the rickety fire escape steps as he makes his way to the rooftop. Once he makes it to the roof, he sees Jack Kelly, looking out over the city and sketching something on a piece of paper.

"Hey Jack," Davey says as he approaches the older boy. Jack looks up from his work and smiles.

"Hey, Davey," He says and then immediately asks, "So did ya get it?" Davey nods and Jack lets out a loud whoop that echoes off of the nearby buildings.  Davey groans and says,

"I don't feel like this is an achievement." Jack walks over and claps his friend on the back.

"Course, it's an achievement, Davey. Ya just don't know it yet," Jack encourages his friend. Davey shrugs and says,

"I'm terrified to drive okay, Jack. I don't want the ability, and I never wanted to get my permit. There's just too many crazy people who drive and to many people who get killed because of them. I don't want to be in that position." Jack looks at his friend with a look of plain and simple sympathy.

"I nevah had dat much trouble wantin to drive. Neither did Race. Talk to Specs or Skittery. Neither of dem really wanted to drive. Specs was worried cuz he's always leavin his glasses everywhere. Bumlets just got his permit bout a week ago, so he's for shoah your best bet," Jack advises. Davey nods and says,

"I'll have to ask them about it sometime. They sound kind of busy right now." Jack laughs and shakes his head,

"Nah. Dey's just da opposite of busy. Knowin dem, dey's just roughousin or someting like dat. Ya can always talk to em. Just, uh, watch out for flyin pillows or marbles. Occasionally, dey have a pillow or marbles war. Hate to see ya get caught in da middle of it." Davey rolls his eyes, when suddenly his phone buzzes.

Esther Jacobs: David, your father wants to take you to a parking lot to teach you how a car works. Please come home.

Davey inwardly groans at the text and Jack uses the opportunity to tease him,

" Ya goil friend dat I's don't know bout textin ya again?"

"NO!" Davey practically shouts as he socks Jack in the arm. "Mom wants me to get home, so Dad can teach me to drive as soon as he gets home from work." Jack nods and says,