Those You Thought You Lost

Post-strike sometime. I think you guys know what's coming. It is after On the Run, and Patches exists in this 1899 timeline. Would you look at that? She's a time traveling cat. Okay, I have some people to acknowledge in here, because there OCs may pop up in this story and I need to give these lovely people credit for their amazing characters. Musical_Theater_Nerd owns Falcon in this story. Thanks again for letting me use her!! She and Flavi are such great friends and I am sure that they will enjoy the newest addition to the Newsies crew. BeckyMerari1808 owns Katie. Thank you for letting me use her!! She is also a great character in this book. 23gatkins owns Pups. I have not gotten to write a lot for Pups, but she is absolutely adorable and I love her a lot. Thank to all of you who have submitted OCs to be a part of the cast of this book!! They are all unique and fun to see and I really love getting to work with them. If you would like your OC to be a part of this oneshot book, feel free to submit one to me!! Check out the description of this book for what I need to know about them and just submit one in the comments somewhere. I would love to include more people if you want your character to be in a book. Okay, onto the oneshot. 

Fire escapes are fantastic places to contemplate the circumstances of life. Jack Kelly holds an old photograph in the palm of his hand. A much younger version of himself stares back at him along with a woman with the kindest eyes and a loving man. The woman is holding a baby and Jack is incredibly puzzled. He vaguely remembers there ever being a baby in his home and he knows that his mother passed away shortly after this photo was taken. There are no notes about this child anywhere. The only piece of his family that he may hold onto could be gone forever. Jack has no idea what he should do. The noises of the Lodging House sound faint in comparison to his thoughts waging war against each other. What if the baby in the picture is still alive? Jack shakes his head and tosses the picture into an old box of his. Those days are over. The foul streets of New York easily steals the lives of children in the blink of an eye. There is no way that baby could still be alive. Somehow, that picture provides the tiniest bit of hope. Somewhere across the city, a girl is thrown out of the third factory that she has worked at in the past year. Her boss shoves her out onto the street and she falls into a mud puddle.

"And stay out! Ya think we want da likes o you in here? Well, think twice!"  Her boss yells and the teenage girl sits in the mud puddle for a solid minute.

"Oh yea? How would youse feel if your parents were dead?" The girl shouts back to a closed oak wood door. "I didn't think dis was how life was supposed ta be!" She shouts before standing up. Muddy brown water runs down her legs, sending shivers throughout her whole body. Why did this have to be her constant area of concern? Why could she not move on with her life? Her life never seems to move forward and if anything rides in reverse most of the time. Suddenly, she hears a voice call out,

"Psst, Elley. Come over here. Quick!" Elley picks up her feet and quickly hurries over to the window sill.

"I'se don't want ya ta get caught!" Elley hisses when she sees Clara, one of her best friends, waving her up to the window sill.

"You won't get caught. I'll make sure of it!" Clara whispers softly and Elley chuckles.

"If ya say so," She mutters softly as she adjusts her dark brown hair tied up in a bun. "I'se gonna get youse an everyone of dese goils out someday, ya know," She finishes and Clara shakes her head. When Clara shakes her head, Elley notices a large purple bruise forming on the side of her friend's cheek. Clara shifts uncomfortably when she notices that Elley has seen her bruise.

"Elley," Clara says softly and Elley shakes her head.

"Dey's gone too far! Does ya mudda know?"