8. The unthinkable

Xiao Zhan got up early and prepared himself to pay a visit to the hospital. Yibo's mother was so good to him. She deserved to know the truth and a sincere apology. She suffered when she wasn't even at the fault, it was always him, who played the dirty game in alliance with his friends.

No matter how much xiaozhan tried to forget whatever happened, he just couldn't let it go. He couldn't help but blame himself for hurting so many people around him, Carman Lee, Wang yibo and himself too. Unknowingly he had disappointed his best friends too, he backed off from the plan when he could have rejected the offer in the first place.

Xiao Zhan got ready and booked a taxi to the hospital in which yibo's mom was admitted. He felt dampness in his palms despite the freezing weather. Rubbing his palms in nervousness, he approached the nurse for asking 'Mrs. Carman Lee' room number.

He advanced towards the private, VIP ward in shaky steps, his breaths uneven and heavy, his hands clenching the sides of his pants. He was indeed scared but he wasn't regretting his decision of coming there. He had a task to do. As he was a few metres away from the room, his soul almost left his body when he saw Wang yibo coming out. He hid behind a nearby wall and covered his mouth to stop the sound of his staggered breaths. After making sure that the way was clear, he entered the room in quiet steps and found yibo's mom lying down.

He took a deep breath and moved towards the sickbed but stopped when he got noticed. Carman Lee frowned and peered at him with a confused gaze. He understood her confusion and smiled sweetly.

"Hello, Mrs Wang -uhh- I am xiao zhan" he looked here and there in embarrassment.

She nodded and asked, "Do I know you?"

He shook his head and settled on the guardian's chair beside her. "I-I am yibo's friend. I came to visit you".

Her frown deepened as she thought something deeply "But as far as I know, yibo has only one friend, xukai".

"But I am his friend too" xiao zhan insisted.

"Okay uh, whatever. Anyways, thanks for your visit son" she let out a kind smile and thanked him.

"A-actually I-I want t-to tell you something, aunty!" Xiao zhan looked down while playing with his fingers in nervousness.

"Mn, of course, I am listening" she smiled again making the latter feel more guilty and sad. He looked up with tears brimming around his eyes, his voice cracking. His throat felt heavy and choking, but he needed to speak up. He couldn't stay silent anymore. Carman patted his back to encourage him. Xiao zhan couldn't hold back anymore and started to narrate everything....

Xiao zhan's head was placed in carman's lap as he continuously mumbled sorry and cried uncontrollably that she had to shush him like a small child. She stroked his head lovingly, with her slight wrinkled yet gentle hands until he stopped bawling his eyes out.

A long silence prevailed between them as no one said anything further. Carman now knew everything but she didn't show any anger or resentment. Though It was not easy for her, it is painful for any mother to accept such a pathetic prank against her son, but she remained collected. After taking in everything and cleaning out her thoughts, she decided to break the silence "You are such a good boy xiao zhan that you accepted and is even regretting your mistake. Not everyone is this humble. I liked you in our first meeting because of your pure heart. You might be naughty but I know you can't hurt anyone on purpose. You don't have to feel bad for whatever happened son. Anyways, I am glad that my son is not marrying that girl and I am satisfied that I have judged you right. You are one of a kind dear. I like you."

Xiao zhan felt relaxed and relieved after removing the burden from his chest. It feels good when you have no more regrets or grudges. He felt so grateful as Carman understood him and forgave him. She even told him that it wasn't his fault. Ziyi's parents shouldn't have forced her for the blind date when she already had someone. If she hadn't been forced, nothing like this would've happened. He felt so guilty for hurting such a pure soul and wish if they would've met in some other circumstances.

~~~

He came back home and shouted, "I am back". He hung the coat at the door and removed his shoes at the doorstep. He let out a wide smile seeing his mother and sister sitting on the sofa. Seemed like they were waiting for his arrival.

He went towards his sister and placed a small kiss on her head and side hugged his mother. But he felt his mother didn't hug him back and they both weren't even happy seeing him home. He frowned and asked, "Something happened behind my back?"

"Where did you go?" His mom questioned him in a disappointed voice, making him more baffled.

"I went for some work" he answered nonchalantly.

"To where?"

"Mom, what happened to you? Why are you enquiring me like my boss huh?" Xiao Zhan chuckled and turned around to go towards his room when his mother stopped him and slapped his cheek. A loud smack voice echoed in the hall and zhan was shocked as he was slapped for the first time. What the hell he did now!

"M-om?"  He said in a cracked voice with teary eyes. His mom looked at him in anger and placed another tight slap on his cheek, this time his lower lip got bruised and started bleeding.

"Mom stop it-" xiao hui begged their mom while crying silently. She couldn't watch her brother being slapped brutally anymore.

"WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU? WHAT DID I DO MOM?" Xiao Zhan shouted in tears but his eyes widened in surprise when he saw wang yibo standing against the wall, enjoying the whole show with an ugly smirk.

"Wang Yibo what are you doing here?" He asked in a stupefied tone.

"Oh hello, Xiao-, uhh- oops, Meng Ziyi!"

Xiao Zhan's eyes bulged out when reality hit him hard. Yes, it was the time to pay for his sins.
.
.
.
.