22. A lunch date?

Xiao Zhan stared blankly at yibo's back when the other walked while holding their hands together. His gaze dropped to their connected palms, a foreign feeling aroused inside him but he wasn't uncomfortable. Instead, he felt secured and assured.

'Forgive me for everything zhanzhan, set me free, I beg you'

'You always say you hate me, please don't hate me anymore'

'Let's be friends!'

He recalled yibo's sincere words and his lips curved up into a smile when yibo turned around to make sure that Zhan was alright. Yibo smiled back as he continued walking.

Xiao Zhan hesitated for a second but ended up grasping yibo's palm tightly. He didn't want to break the soothing connection. He didn't realise when they returned to the party. He was so lost in his thoughts that even the loud music and so many people didn't enter his awareness until yibo's father took the mic.

He felt happy when Wang Qiren praised yibo. He noticed that the father-son duo was not very close because they both weren't good with words. But their small actions were enough to prove that they meant world to each other.

"I am certain that he is ready to take responsibilities so that I can rest now", he giggled and listened further.

"Now, along with business responsibilities I want him to step in the world of commitments and love"

That weird feeling. He knew something was definately going to happen. The sweet smile that was plastered on his thin lips faded slowly as he felt his heart pulsating loudly inside his ears.

"So, I am glad to announce my Son, Wang yibo's engagement with the only daughter of Mr Meng Xiu, Ms. Meng ziyi at the end of this month"

Zhan's eyes shut closed momentarily. Things were being messy again. This decision was going to be very hard on three lives. For his best friends, ziyi and cheng, who were insanely in love. For yibo, who never loved ziyi and would never agree to this arrangement. And if he gets forced in the marriage, nothing would be good about it. They all will suffer.

And what about him?

Him? What's his place in their lives anyway? He was just a helpless friend and an incapable grown up man who is living in someone's else house, mooching off his father's friend isn't he? He has no right to oppose their decisions, it was due to them that his sister will be getting a new life and he would always be grateful about that.

He looked down dejectedly but got startled when yibo held on his hands tighter. He whimpered silently but didn't dare to yank his hands away. He looked pitifully at yibo whose gaze was fixed at his father. He was clearly gnashing his teeth harshly and his eyes now had a little red tint which showed his displeasure and anger.

Zhan's heart trembled in pain when yibo's friends and business partners approached him to congratulate him including ziyi's parents. He looked down when Mrs.Meng looked at him with furrowed brows. He knew that they still were not over with what they had done before. It must have been much severe for ziyi with her parents.

He slowly tried to withdraw his hands out of yibo's who was not letting him. He tried for a few more seconds but yibo gripped him tighter. He sighed and jerked his hands forcefully before stepping back. Yibo looked back and they peered in each other's eyes as zhan backed off. Yibo shook his head slowly but Zhan decided to walk away. He nearly ran out of the place.

Yibo too left abruptly, leaving everyone confused. He rushed out to the direction where Zhan had ran to. Blood rushed in his veins when he didn't find him anywhere. But gathering his spirits, he continued walking until a shocking scene made him stop.