[🏴‍☠️] - Another Hello

oh. you idiot. i can't believe you started a chapter without the fluff! you actually started a story, and now you gotta follow through.

great job, nspyrr! gotta give it to you.

anyway, perhaps 1 of the 3 parts. no explanation why, enjoy.

...

Your friendship with Houshou Marine started with a simple hello, but later on, it ended with a convoluted goodbye. It had been three years since you'd seen her, the last good memory being your final high school year with her, a day or two before she ended it all.

The times caught up to you as you turned twenty-one this year. A resolution for yourself to keep going in what you so called "a wretched life", was finding something that you could enjoy.

There's the catch.

What did you enjoy in life?

Being young was among the many choices. But the fact that when you were younger, with Marine specifically, that was all you could ask for then. She brought you out of a hole, which prevented you from talking to others, and turned you into the person who you are today.

But considering you were alone now, then what's next? It killed you knowing that it would seem to take ages for something to appear in front of you, giving you the chance to say, "That's it!" or "This is what I'm going to do!".

...

"Here's your coffee. If there's anything else that I can get you, let me know." The waitress tucked a tray under her arm and left.

So you thought about it over coffee in a cozy restaurant. You placed the mug next to your laptop, which pointed diagonally in a position so that nobody from behind would exactly see what you're doing, along with your still-warm breakfast eaten halfway.

You scrolled endlessly on a job posting website until you spotted a rather eccentric position less suited of your taste.

"Now auditioning idols for Hololive's inter-generational cast..." You mumbled the words on the screen. "Pfft. Idol? Me? No way."

You got curious and searched the exact words in Google, the first result being quite the shock.

The name stood out to you like contrasting colors.

"Houshou Marine." You sighed. You instantly slammed the screen closed and scoffed.

"Juuust wanna make sure..." You reopened the screen, tapped in your password, and refreshed the page. The YouTube channel for a Houshou Marine was still the first result. You clicked off the page, back into the job listing site, and pondered.

If you managed to get into that job, as an idol, you assumed there would be a pretty good chance that you'd run into Marine. But you grimaced at the thought of how selfish it was to take someone else's job opportunity for a love interest.

"Yeah, what could go wrong?" You began typing up responses for the application and submitted your resume without a second thought.

Then it hit you.

"What the hell did I just do?" You slammed your head against the table and sighed. It was a hit or miss! Who knows if you would get accepted or not. A wave of relief rose over you as you gave yourself the benefit of the doubt, but something told you it wouldn't be any good.

Instead of sulking, you finished your breakfast, tucked away your computer in your bag, left your payment, and departed the restaurant.

The streets and sidewalks of Japan were an accurate depiction of your thoughts, way too many things (people) in the way. It was just a hour or two before noon and it was reasonably packed as you made it down the stairs of the transit system.

The common was full of deadpan businessmen and women with the accompanying black or brown suitcase with no intent to slow down for anyone. After pushing through for yourself, you've finally made it aboard the train headed towards your hometown, Setagaya, and plopped down gently on an empty seat.

...

The train ride was usual - just like any other ride anywhere else, and you stepped foot out of the subway car and pushed by again through the all, but not too similar station common.

On the surface level, it was crowded just as before as if you've just left the restaurant. You walked past buildings of the similar tinted window color look, block after block. A few turns here and there, crossing a few roads, you name it - all to get back home.

But just before one more turn into your neighborhood,

"Hey! Let go!" A voice yelled out nearby.

You stopped and looked in the direction of the voice. You contemplated briefly, trying to figure out if it was just some kids fooling around. Your thought process was interrupted by a female scream.

Without any regard for yourself, you ran hastily to intervene.

The woman you would be saving was none other than the girl that made you rethink it all.

"Marine!" You yelled.

...

a/n; short. another part incoming, maybe another one after that. the only reason is - is because i've just fallen in love with this prompt. i got so descriptive for no good reason and i love it.