Chapter 6

I drove for hours, disregarding my need for sleep. I couldn't help but replay the motel scene in my head. My wolf reassured me over and over again I was not to blame, but eventually she grew quiet. She knew I needed the silence. 

My stomach growled, in dire need of food. I took my eyes off the road for a moment to scan the car. All I had were granola bar wrappers and empty bags of chips. I had pretty much ate everything I had bought at the gas station earlier on. I would need to stop soon for gas and grab some sufficient grub. 

I pulled the sun visor down as the morning glare hit. Taking the next exit off the highway, I drove into the nearest town. I kept alert on nearby wolves. I truly didn't want to deal with another Alpha who in my case, might just kill me. For some odd reason Benjamin had let me off the hook but I had no doubt he had contacted Thaddeus who would soon be on his way to find me. I managed to create quite a distance between Benjamin's pack and myself but I did not want to lower my guard down yet. 

Locating a gas station, I fished in my bag for some cash. When I could only scrap together a few bills, I took out Kelsey's credit card again with a sigh. I only hoped she understood my situation. 

I sped inside the crowded station, cringing at the various scents that entered my nostrils within seconds. Covering my nose, I manuevered around grabbing whatever items I could afford. I gazed aimlessly around the store while my items were being rung up until the television set behind the counter caught my eye. Or more specifically the story being reported. 

"Authorities are on a manhunt for a female suspected for the murder of 49 year old Earl Smith. The hunt began yesterday evening when Smith was found brutally murdered in his motel building after contact with the female."

My eyes nearly bulged out of my head as images of me entering and leaving the motel were plastered for all to see. Thankfully, my face wasn't as visible as I feared it would be but the clothes I had as I exited where the same ones I was currently wearing. I darted my gaze around wondering if anyone would connect two and two together but it seemed like they were all in their own worlds. 

"Witnesses reported a verbal argument between Smith and the unknown female, followed by loud noises that woke up many of the motel's occupants."

With my heart beating out of my chest, I tapped Kelsey's card against the card machine and quickly gathered my belongings. I'm nearly out of the station when a voice shouted at me to stop. Hesitantly, I turned around to see the cashier waving a piece of paper at me. "Your receipt ma'am."

I took the receipt and thanked him before rushing on out of the store. I filled up my tank, anxiously keeping a look out on my surroundings. The motel was miles away but I had no doubt police would be making their way to this town. I got into the car, slamming the door shut in frustration. 

I would need to keep my head down even more than before and try to blend in with the public. First thing I had to do was change out of my clothes. I scoured my bag for a change of clothes, quickly removing the ones I had on. I dropped down trying to conceal myself as much as I could. I knew it was unconventional to be changing in my car at a gas station where anyone could see me but I really did not care.

I threw my used clothes in the back of the car and put my short waves in a low bun. It wasn't much of a change but it had to do for now. I shoved my bag to the side but a shiny object slipped out. I reached around under the seat, coming into contact with a familiar heart shaped pendant. I was in disbelief as I held it up. It still looked as beautiful as the day I first got it all those weeks ago. 

I remembered never taking it off after Thaddeus had given it to me until one night I had to shift. In order to keep it in one piece I removed it and hid it in the pocket of my pants. Unfortunately, I had forgotten about it afterwards because Thaddeus had rushed us into the bedroom. Staring at the beautiful necklace, tears began to welled up in my eyes. I couldn't help it. I missed him and my family. Travelling unfamiliar territory, so far away from home was not something I was used to. I craved the safe sanction the pack provided.