Chapter 16

"We have to find this book," I groaned. It had already been two hours after initially beginning the search and I was ready to implode. 

We've gone through nearly every box but there were still to much to go through. "Are you sure it's not anywhere else Kou?"

"There's nowhere else I'd put it," he got to his feet. "It seems like lunch will be ready in a few moments. Maybe we should take a break."

Eunice nodded, clearly excited over the word lunch before rushing upstairs ahead of Kou and I. "How'd you know lunch was nearly ready?" I asked as we walked upstairs.

"Ever since I lost my sight, my other senses have seemed to increase magnificently. For example, my sense of smell has done me great wonders. Along with my sense of hearing. I hear a lot better than I did before."

"That's interesting." We make our way to the tidy kitchen where Eunice is already seated and talking her head off to big Honcho who doesn't seem as annoyed as before.

We sat around the table, me next to Eunice who was still talking to big Honcho and Kou was seated between him and myself. I check out the meal on the table but I'm not hungry. I just want to continue looking for the stupid flower and help my Mate. Looking up at everyone, I want to excuse myself but I'm not too sure when the proper time is to do so.

"Is something on your mind?" Kou asked causing all conversation to cease as eyes are now on me. Well that wasn't as hard as I thought.

"I'm not really hungry, I kind of just want to find this flower and hurry on with the plan," I say quietly. I don't mean to offend anyone but big Honcho looks, surprise surprise, irritated as usual.

"If you're not hungry that's fine," he waved me off. "We'll just stay here."

I thanked him and began to stand up when Eunice clutched my wrist. "Do you want me to come with?"

Shaking my head, I tell them all to enjoy their lunch and hurried downstairs looking through the boxes. "Why is it so hard to find a flower book?"

I continued on shuffling past beautiful family pictures that I find too delicate to even stare at. I hurried to flip them around before moving onto the next objects. I gently lift the lid and peek inside afraid of what I'll find. When I find stacks of books, my heart begins to race. I grab the first one and skim through it realising it's a photo album. I place it to the side and reach for the second one, only to find out it was also a photo album. I search the entire box only to come to the conclusion that it was just a box full of albums.

Moving it to the side a little too aggressive, I grab the second box. Please, I need this book. I need to find it.

"Hey Anna are you sure you're not hungry? Big Honcho made-"

I don't know why she stopped but when I used the back of my hand to my face, I realised a tear leaked down my cheek.

"Hey we'll get this flower one way or another," she said, coming over to my side.

"It's been two weeks since I left my Mate and family," I told her with a small stutter. "I don't want to be gone for a long time. At the same time, I understand that we have to find this for him."

Eunice kneels down and grabs the lid of the second box. I grab the last box and place it front of me with a sigh. "If it's not here, what then? We're looking for something that you said so yourself was extinct."

"Don't lose faith Anna." Eunice responded seriously. 

I remove a small antique from the top of the box and scour through it cautiously. I give up before I could even finish looking through the box because all of these are simple antiques and small statues. With a heavy sigh, I try to control the tears but one is already sliding down. I bite down on my lip ignoring the sympathetic glance she gives me and she looks through her own box. For a second, my Wolf tells me not to give up on hope but I know it's useless.