Chapter 9

I stayed with Florence for a week.

It seemed that the only time she was openly vulnerable was when she had told me the origin of the Knox curse that first day. Ever since, she has kept her distance. We exchanged pleasantries here and there but the atmosphere in her lovely home was tense. A few times I attempted to leave for fresh air but the moment I would step foot outside, there were always pack wolves blocking my way. I immediately got the hint the third time around.

So in the comfort of my room, I would shift and paddle from one end of the room to the other. My wolf urged me numerous times to shift which according to Florence was a great sign. I was no longer having any headaches and the pack doctor had come by to make sure everything was as right as it should be. When he gave me the okay, I was thrilled. But part of me was upset. I had gone to great lengths to find Florence (my two near death experiences proved as much) and I still felt like I had nothing. Could I truly do nothing for my Mate?

"Here are the keys to my car." I straightened up as Florence entered the living room with a pair of keys and a duffel bag. Xavier and Morgan, along with a few other members from their pack lingered outside the house. At the wary expression masking my face, Florence sighed. "You'll need a car or would you rather go about on foot?"

I pursed my lips and took her keys thankfully. She thrust the duffel bag forward as I stared down unsure like. "I packed you some necessities."

"Thank you," I was very appreciative even though I sensed some resentment in my chest. Not to Florence but to our situation.

Florence's grip on the bag lingered longer than I believe she realized. We stood facing each other, me wanting to shift under her familiar unnerving gaze. I briefly wondered what she was thinking. My own thoughts were all over the place but I had to get the question out. I needed to know.

"Is there anything you can think of that I could do?" She knew what I was referring to. For a moment, her eyes glazed over and I thought the Alphas might have been mind linking her but then her head turned to the stairs heading to the second level. "There has to be a way to end this curse."

She began heading to the stairs in silence. For a moment, I was in complete shock but then anger quickly took over. "I came all the way here for your help and the least-"

"Be quiet and follow me," she interjected. I stood in the same spot for a moment before dropping the duffel bag and following suit. We made our way upstairs where she led us to a room down the hall. In the time I was here, she had made a point as to not enter her quarters and as a guest, I respected her wishes. But now, it felt wrong entering her sanction even when she was allowing me to do so.

Her room was decorated quite plainly. She had the same arrangement as the room I was occupying what with plants all over. She had picture frames placed on top of her clean dresser. There was a large bookshelf that took up space over on one end of the room. Her large bed was neatly made and occupied the centre of the room. The only thing that seemed discerning was the pile of clothes scattered all over the floor near her closet. It was a big contrast compared to the rest of the room.

Florence headed straight for her closet and rummaged around. I stood by the door unsure of what she was doing. I had enough clothes I assumed from the large bag she had graciously given to me. So what did she have in mind now?

She came out of her closet with a large brown container the size of a binder. I took a step closer as she dusted the item off before opening the container. I watched in curious silence as she removed items from the box, laying them down on her bed now.

"This is the map I had constructed while I was on my search for witches," Florence pointed to the first map closest to me. "As you can see, there were three covens in North America that I could find. One was in Regina, Saskatchewan, the other was in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and lastly Portland, Oregon."