Chapter 12

"How old are you?" I asked Eunice. 

"Twenty two," she answered. "You?"

"Twenty."

"Weird habits?"

"None that I can think of." That was an odd question.

"I know that was out of the ordinary but if we are travelling together, I need to make sure you don't pick your nose in your sleep. Or have a farting problem. Or eat with your mouth wide open," she shivered at the last one with a face full of disgust.

"No, no, and sometimes," I responded. The disgust in her face intensified. "What about you?"

"Because of the whole Witch side of me, I get visions once and a while which cause me to black out," she explained. "Not a habit I have by choice."

I turn to her interested. "What type of visions?"

"When the universe is trying to tell me something, it comes in the form of a vision." I turned a corner. "That's how I came here. I had a vision of Portland, the alley, and that necklace around your neck."

Subconsciously, I touched the lukewarm necklace. "What does the necklace have to do with any of this?"

She raised a perfectly arched eyebrow in my direction with a small smile on her lips. "You have no idea do you?"

"What?"

"That necklace was made by a Witch. It heats up when one of us is nearby. In your case, it probably got excited, leading to that little burn you had on your chest earlier."

I touched the spot where the necklace burned me and glanced in the car mirror. My eyebrows nearly shoot up to the sky when I notice the mark is gone. I glance down at my hand only to have my suspicions correct. The burn was gone. I guess my Werewolf side healed the wound.

"So long as I'm around you, will it stay warm?"

She nodded. "Pretty much."

I blow out a puff of air. "This is a lot."

She laughed, a sound so angelic to my ears. We sat in silence after a very long time before I asked another question. 

"Anyone important in your life?"

A small grin appeared on her face, which I noticed from the corner of my eyes. "I did."

I knew by the sound of that, I had intruded into personal territory. Still, I was now curious.

"His name was Aaron."

"Where is he?" With a sigh, she shifted uncomfortably in her seat. 

"In a cemetery."

My eyes rose up in surprise before words tumbled out of my mouth. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's alright," she cut me off. "Besides, I have to get you to trust me right?"

Now it was my turn to shuffle uncomfortably. I didn't want to dig too deep into a strangers past.

"He died a couple years ago."

From the corner of my eye, I saw a traitorous tear glide down her smooth skinned face. "I'm sorry."

She doesn't reply for a moment. Instead, she pulled herself together, wiping any traces of tears from her face. "So.. favourite animal?"

I'm thankful for the change in topic. "Definitely wolf."

She forced a laugh. "I'm a cat person."

"That is horrible," I swerved to the side to avoid a bicyclist on the road. "They are weird."