Chapter 30 (unedited)

Annabel's POV

"Hi," Eunice and I greet the cab driver at the same time.

He greets us back and immediately asks us where we are planning on going. I give him the address to go and he looks at me peculiarily and I smile at him.

"This is far," he points out. I nod waiting for him to begin driving. "I'll need to charge extra."

"No problem," I turn to Eunice who grins at the guy. What was she talking about? We couldn't afford a lot of things at the moment. She narrows her eyes at me and I know to keep quiet.

The cab driver begins to drive and my heart lurches at the thought of what could go down in a few hours. I feel Eunice's hand intertwine with me and she squeezes reassuringly.

"We're gonna be okay," she says quietly. "You're going to be okay."

I lean back back into the seat and close my eyes. This was how I was coping with everything. I like to sleep through it and pretend like everything is going to be okay. In actuality, it isn't.

-

Four hours later I find myself waking up in the middle of nowhere. The sky was darkening and there were no other cars in sight. For a moment, I feel like our cab driver drove us off somewhere but when Eunice smiles up at him and pays him a wad of cash, I know we made it to the right spot. Now all we had to do was walk a bit further and we will be there. I guess, we'll wait in the meantime.

Thaddeus and I were going to meet at the boundary line between New Mexico and Texas. That was the spot smack in the middle of where we were residing earlier so I thought it was the best place.

Eunice and I wave goodbye at the cab driver who looks confused as to why we would stop in the middle of nowhere. Turning away from him, we make our way through the trees. We had decided to go through this way rather than the actual highway. It was out in the open and we didn't need that.

"Hey Eunice?"

"Hmm?"

I glance down at the ground and step over a dead bird.

"I'm scared," I tell her quietly. She doesn't respond to my confession. At first I'm not sure if she even heard me but when she turns to me grinning, I know she did.

"We're all afraid of something Annabel," she says. "We can't let it control us. We need to control it."

"Wise words," I comment clutching my bag. "What are we suppose to do out here now? I mean where do we sleep?"

Eunice shrugs looking around the dark space. "I can perform a transformation spell. I could make a tent with that bag."

I glance down at my bag. "Are you sure you can do this? You've been doing a lot."

"My rituals helped strengthen my bonds with my ancestors and the universe. In response, I have more energy. I won't pass out too easily unless I perform one of the bigger spells."

I hand her my bag and watch as she places it onto the ground. She mumbles something and for a few moments nothing happens. I try to make out some of her words but it isn't in any English at all.

I wait for a few extra moments until my bag somehow transforms into an average sized tent. I stare wide eyed while Eunice unzips the tent and goes in. Shaking my head I follow her in. No matter what she does, it's hard not to feel amazed.

I drop my body onto the sleeping bag and sigh. Everything that was in the bag appears nearby except the bag itself.

"Do you mind if I do another ritual?" Eunice asks. I shake my head no and stretch out in the small space between us.