Chapter 1

Annabel's POV

"Done." 

Placing the apple in the last lunch bag, I hand it over to the awaiting child. He smiled up at me and I returned the grin, just as he rushed off to join the others. 

"Is it over?" Cassie asked.

"That was the last pup," I stated. She sighed out in relief and together we cleaned up the kitchen and collapsed onto the large couch in the living room. 

"I forget how many kids live here," she mumbled out. I nodded, watching as the pups raced about trying to get their things in order for their first day back to school. 

Cassie and I have spent a lot of our time together. After everything that happened a month ago, I had to confide in someone other than my Mate. Part of me felt like maybe I was trying to replace Mason, but there was no one in the world that could replace him. But still, I needed a friend that wasn't my Mate as it turned out there were things I needed to get off my chest. Cassie was there and she's helped in more ways ever since. 

"You're the Luna, all I ask is for ten more minutes of sleep," she yawned, grabbing the shoe underneath her that one pup was searching for. She quickly tossed the shoe without a care. "Catch."

I recoiled as the shoe hit the poor child's face. Throwing a stern glare at Cassie, I got up to comfort the dazed child and helped her tie her laces.

"You're going to have to get used to it," I replied to Cassie, tying Mel's shoes. Just as quickly, she takes off running outside.  I won't say it's been easy waking up at the crack of dawn. Thaddeus was an early riser whereas I was the complete opposite. However with everything that had needed to be done, I couldn't leave it all to my Mate to do himself. Plus- I truly enjoyed spending time with my pack mates. "Come on, before the kids leave for school." 

We headed out to the front lawn where I scoured the field of children for one in particular. I spotted her after a moment or two and waved her over. She rushed forward, face a glee, all the while jumping onto me. 

"You're here!" She exclaimed, pulling away from me.

"Of course," I responded. "I told you I wouldn't miss your first day back to school."

She smiled up at me and quickly gestured for me to come closer. Leaning down, she cupped her hands over my left ear. "I miss my parents."

I inhaled deeply. I knew this was bound to happen but I was glad she was finally speaking up. When Beth had first came here, she was hesitant and avoided interacting with the others, including my own parents. The only people she would speak to where either myself or her younger sister Savannah. It took quite some time, but she eventually warmed up to the other pups before opening up to the seniors. It was nice seeing the obvious trust she now has in everyone but I couldn't help the guilt coursing through my veins. My Mate and many others from this pack had played a role in the death of her parents. What could I do to help?

"Beth I-" I hesitated, unsure of how to proceed. "I absolutely adore you and Savannah with all my heart. I can not imagine the pain you're going through and I wish I could take it away, really. If there is anything I can do, please let me know."

One of the senior wolfs, whistled, distracting us for a moment. It was time for them to make the drive to the nearest town for school. An idea popped into my head.

"In fact, if you don't want to go I'm sure I can figure something out." Beth threw a glance back at the group of pups getting ready to leave. The same girl Cassie had hit in the face with a shoe, Mel, waved Beth over.