Chapter 7

My eyes fluttered open but just as quickly, I squeezed them shut. The sudden bright light of the room hurt my vision. I exhaled, taking a moment to prepare myself. The stench of blood was strong in the air so I knew I wasn't dead. 

I knew I was in a hospital room. The entire scene took me back to a couple days prior when I had woken up in a similar state. The machines around me buzzed with insistent sounds and as I sat up, I felt a pinch in my wrist. I tugged the needle out of my skin, wincing as I shifted about. From the clock on the wall, it was nearing eight. Glancing out the window, I knew it had to be the evening rather than morning as the sun hadn't risen. 

We need to leave now! My Wolf was agitated. We couldn't be in a human hospital at all. They would know something was different in my blood. In fact, it might have already been too late. 

I quickly set into motion, grabbing my blood soaked clothes and some of my belongings from the side of the bed. I guessed they had no reason to bring my bags from the crash. As I changed clothes, I kept an ear out for any sudden noises heading into my direction. Other than the other buzzing machines in the other rooms, I sensed I was in the clear. 

I peeked out the door, air rushing into my chest as a nurse narrowly missed me by a second. She had her flustered face down in a pile of charts, too busy to notice me at all. I turned and sped down the hallway. Another two nurses turned the corner the same way I did, but I ducked my head down. 

I sensed one pause and turned his body towards mine but as if knowing I needed the distraction, a machine began buzzing from down the hall. They rushed away as I continued on my escape. I wasn't sure how to get out of here. I could feel a rising agitation but I wasn't sure if that was from my wolf or myself. Or both. 

Spotting a map plastered on the wall, I glanced around surreptitiously. The lady at the front desk seemed to be too busy on a phone call and judging by her expression, it didn't seem to be going so well. I puffed out a tired breath and tried to locate the nearest exit. 

One left and then a right and I'd be on the main floor...

"Hey do you any help?" I turned to the side, eyes wide like a deer in traffic. The brunette's gaze lowered and for a second I thought she might have been checking me out. Until I followed her wide eyed gaze to my bloodied top. "Oh my-"

"I'm okay," I hurried out. My injuries were mostly healed so it wasn't that big of a deal. But she seemed to be looking for help. 

"I need help here!" She shouted at the top of her lungs. I winced at the volume of her tone. My wolf surely didn't like it as well. As if ants on a mission, the nurses, appearing out of thin air swarmed me. I was guided to a stretcher but I fought to be released. I knew I didn't have to fight that much but I didn't want to cause any harm. 

A strong stench entered my nostrils. I had smelt that earlier. Looking around the second floor, I located the scent near the elevators. 

There is no doubt about it, my Wolf began anxiously. I don't really see any other choice now. I kicked the biggest nurse in the groin. He shouted but I paid no attention as I turned, sending a kick to the loud mouthed (understandably) concerned nurse.  I thrust my fist into an oncoming nurse's stomach. As a pair of hands gripped me from behind, I threw my head back, hopefully aiming right where I needed to. 

I gazed around, ignoring the shocked expression all around me and settled on a pair of werewolf eyes. I couldn't sense any power radiating off from him but I still didn't want to get too close. I turned in the direction I had come from and zoomed down the hallway, pushing past doctors and patients. I wasn't sure where I was going but I was sure I would find an exit somewhere.