Chapter 5

I sped down the highway aware of all the honking drivers but I do my best to push through. After my actions there was no way, that officer wouldn't arrest me. I still didn't have my drivers licence which made this situation much worse. Glancing behind me, I see and hear no signs of police cars but I continued my pace to keep a distance between us. 

I slowed down moments later, the realisation of what I had just done now hitting me a ton. 

I am in so much trouble.

I groaned in annoyance and turned the radio on. This was going to be the longest ride ever.

Hours later, I decided to stop for a break at a town. My legs cramped and my stomach ached for food. It was nearing three in the afternoon and the only thing I had ate was that rabbit many hours ago. I drove around in search of a gas station and filled up the tank, buying some snacks too.

As I left the station, I spotted a cafe nearby. The smell made my mouth water for a cup of fresh coffee and whatever else was inside. I hesitated. I had to keep moving so Thaddeus wouldn't find me but at the same time a cup of caffeine would be able to keep my up for a few more hours. Making up my mind, I strode towards the cafe, the scent overpowering me. 

I walked in, the overhead bells announcing my arrival. There were folks seated all over, drinking and having a laugh. I ordered a coffee and some mini donuts. Moving to the side, I waited for my order as the barista took the next order. 

I scanned the cafe, needing something to distract me. A couple nearby laughed and embraced each other. My heart ached and I quickly looked away. The bells rang again just as an odd scent attacked my nostrils. I turned my head to see a woman entering the cafe, eyes firmly levelled with mine. Wolf...

She stalked over, face in a fury. "Who are you?"

The room slowly grew quiet as all eyes focused on us. My wolf didn't like the tone this she-wolf was using and she urged me to fight back. The barista handed me my order and with a jerk of my head, we left the store. 

"Who the hell are you?" She demanded, posture as tense as ever. Her fists were tightly clenched, eyes narrowed into slits.

Not liking her attempts at intimidation, I released a warning growl from deep within. "Watch your tone." 

She took a step back, her expression changing for a quick moment but she quickly set her facade back on. "My alpha will be here any moment now."

She turned her nose up as I nibbled on my lip. This couldn't be happening. If the alpha finds out who my mate is, he might call Thaddeus. Would Thaddeus make a trip up all the way out here? I couldn't let that happen. 

Heavy footsteps made their way into our direction just as I picked up an alphas scent nearby. I turned my head to the side to see an angry bulky man storming his way towards me. His hands were in tight fists while his blue eyes sent me daggers. If we were in a cartoon, I'm sure he'd have steam coming out of his ears and nostrils. He came to a stop a couple feet away. From the distance, I could see he was nearly as tall as Thaddeus. His face was red, a vein bulged in the middle of his forehead.

"Who the hell are you?" There was a command in his voice but because I was Luna it had no affect on me. 

"My name is Grace Bernard," I kept my face as stoic as possible. 

"I'm Alpha Benjamin of the Red Wolf pack," he crossed his bulky arms over his chest. "What business do you have here?"

I raised an eyebrow, nodding to the coffee in my grasp. "I can't enjoy a cup of coffee?"