26

The next two and a half years flew by, as Mark and I lived tucked away in our house in the Lake District.

I had decided not to tell him about how much I wanted to get married, and let things be. As long as I had him I didn’t care. He was my life, everything I needed in my life. But I knew that he needed more.

I was at home, cooking dinner, the evening that everything began to change, again.

‘Hi Jules’, Mark said, walking into the room, and sitting down on a stool at the kitchen island.

‘Hey’, I smiled, ‘Who were you just talking to? It sounded like a pretty intense conversation.’

‘It was a TV producer’, Mark replied.

‘Really?’, I asked, ‘Well? What did he want?’

‘He asked If I would be interested in signing up for the next season of ‘Celebrity Big Brother’’, Mark replied.

‘What did you say?’, I asked.

‘I said I’d think about it’, Mark sighed, ‘I don’t think it’s a good idea Jules.’

‘Why not? We watched it last year and it looks like fun’, I said, turning off the stove before I turned to face him, ‘Mark, I know how much you miss being in the public eye. Maybe this is the way to do it?’

‘Yeah but how embarrassing would it be if I got no support?’, Mark asked, ‘God I can imagine the headlines already, ‘Take That Flop Mark Owen Gets Booted Out In First Round’. Yeah! That sounds like a great way to get back into fame! I don’t want to be a public joke like Gary, Jules.’

Even though it sounded mean, it was true. Although Gary had gotten married to Dawn and had a son called Daniel, he had been dropped from his record label and had been publicly humiliated by Robbie, who was a huge star at this point, more than once. To get away from it, he, Dawn and their baby son had relocated to L.A.

‘Well what would you rather?’, I asked, ‘Take a chance and go on the show, maybe getting your second chance in the music industry or letting the chance go and regretting it forever. It’s your choice Mark.’

‘How are you so good at making me rethink things?’, Mark smiled.

‘It’s a gift’, I shrugged, before collapsing in giggles.

‘I’ll call back the producers and tell them I agree’, Mark said, standing up once again, ‘I love you Jules.’

‘Love you too Markie’, I smiled.

Two hours later it was all sorted. Mark was going to star in the second season of ‘Celebrity Big Brother’.

The show was set to begin three weeks after, and for those three weeks Mark was a nervous wreck.

I did everything in my power to try and relax him, but it did no good. It was like he was coming out of hiding, and he was praying every night that the public still respected him.

Eventually, the day arrived for Mark to leave, and as I kissed him goodbye, I wished that the next time we would be together, he would be happier and more content.

‘It’s strange watching Mark on TV again’, Hannah said, as we sat on her couch watching the first show of the series.

‘I know’, I agreed, ‘He’s so quiet and shy!’

‘Only we know different’, Hannah giggled, ‘Do you think he’ll get much support?’

‘I hope so’, I replied, ‘He needs more confidence. He’s really self-conscience.’

‘Seriously? Mark?’, Hannah asked, surprised.

‘Uh-huh’, I nodded, ‘He puts on an act when he’s with other people.’

‘Wow, I’d never think that’, Hannah replied, ‘He always seems so confident.’

‘I know’, I sighed, putting my hand under my head, ‘Anyway, how’s Jeffery? Did you ask him to move in with you yet?’

‘No’, Hannah mumbled, looking away.

‘Are you?’, I asked, ‘Han, you’ve been going out with years.’

‘Yeah I know, I know’, Hannah sighed, turning to look at me again, ‘But I don’t know Jules, we haven’t been getting on that well recently. When he comes over he basically just falls asleep on the sofa and stays there until the next morning when he leaves again. We haven’t gone on a date or been intimate in months. I don’t know Jules, I think the spark has gone.’

‘I’m sorry Han’, I said, reaching over to give her a hug, ‘I thought you two were a match.’

‘I did too’, Hannah replied, ‘I think we’d both be better off alone.’

‘Well you know what they say’, I said, ‘There’s plenty of other fish in the sea.’

‘Yeah, you’re right’, Hannah sighed, before turning back to the TV, ‘Now come on, let’s watch your man win this thing.’

I laughed as I went back to watching Mark on TV.

At that moment I didn’t care if he didn’t win, because as he laughed with one of the other contestants, I knew he was happy and that was all that mattered.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey guys, 

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.

Thanks for reading!

Love, 

Lauren

xxxxx