9

It seems that I got my wish, because a few weeks later as I struggled through chemo and life with no hair, I got an unexpected phone call.

'Mark', I gasped, when I realized who had called me.

'Hey Jules', I heard his soft Mancunian voice say, 'How are you?'

'I'm, I'm okay', I replied, 'How are things in Take That land?'

'Crazy', Mark said, 'We've finally made it as a boyband. I've got to admit, it's cool to be famous.'

'Yeah I bet it is', I replied, scratching the wig I was wearing.

'Yeah, anyway, I'm going to be home for a few days next week', Mark said, 'And I was wondering, would you like to meet up?'

'Um', I mumbled, 'I don't know Mark, I look a bit different from the last time you saw me.'

'I don't care what you look like Jules!', Mark laughed, 'Please? I've missed you.'

'I've missed you too Mark', I admitted, 'Okay, ring me when you want to meet up.'

'Great! I'll see you soon Jules', Mark replied, and I knew he was smiling.

It was two days later when I got the next phone call from him.

'I'm home!', he said, 'Can I come to your house?'

'Now?', I asked, surprised.

'Yeah! I'd love to see you Jules', Mark replied.

'Um, give me ten minutes', I said, looking down at the pyjamas I was wearing, 'I just need to get changed.'

'Of course', Mark replied, 'See you in a few.'

Once off the phone I raced upstairs to change my clothes, and make myself decent. I really wanted to look good, even though I was going to shock Mark with all the weight I had lost over the previous few months.

'Everything okay?', My mother asked, coming out of the bathroom as I made my way to my room.

'Yeah Mark is coming round', I replied.

'What? Mark? Mark Owen?', Mam asked, 'Since when are you talking to him?'

'He rang me a few days ago', I sighed, 'He wants to see me, and Mam, I want to see him.'

'Well okay', Mam replied, 'Just don't get up to anything.'

'The worst thing we'll do is drink coffee', I told her, 'Don't worry, I'll be fine.'

After putting on decent clothes, and putting on my wig ( Which I had gotten after Hannah shaved my head ), I went downstairs again, and was just sitting in the living room when the doorbell rang.

'I'll get it', my Mother called, before I had a chance to get up.

I could hear Mam and Mark's voices, muffled, once she opened the door, and a few minutes later the living room door began to open.

'Hi Markie', I smiled, when I saw him standing there, looking hotter than ever.

'Jules', Mark gasped, obviously shocked, 'Wow you look.'

'Pale? Thin? Miserable?', I cut in.

'No, no', Mark said, although I knew he was lying.

'It's okay Mark, you can admit it, I know that I am', I replied, patting the sofa beside me, 'Come over and sit down.'

'Thanks', Mark smiled, sitting down beside me.

'So', I started.

'Wait, come here a minute', Mark said, before turning towards me and giving me a hug, 'I've missed you Jules.'

'I've missed you too Markie', I sighed, at the feel of his arms around me.

'So, how have you been?', Mark asked, once we had parted.

'Honestly?', I asked, 'Pretty miserable. My chemo treatments have been pretty aggressive, and they've made me really sick. As well as lose my hair of course.'

'You're hair?', Mark asked, confused.

'It's a wig', I replied, pointing to my head.

'Oh my God, I can't believe it. You've been through so much', Mark said, and it looked like he was going to start crying, 'I'm so sorry that I haven't been here for you Jules.'

'Mark it's okay', I sniffed, hating that he was getting upset, 'Anyway, how have things been with you? In boyband world?'

'Yeah it's been amazing', Mark said, 'The guys and I have been having the time of our lives, and we haven't even released an album yet! Actually, I was wondering if you and Hannah would like to meet them? They're coming over to my house tomorrow for the day, just to have a laugh. Would you come?'

'Well I'll be there', I smiled, 'And I'm sure Hannah would love to come too.'

'Great!', Mark said, before looking seriously at me, 'Julie, I'm truly sorry about what happened between us. I was so stupid, and I know it was a horrible thing to do.'

'It's okay Mark', I replied, 'I know you've grown up since then, but maybe it was a sign that we shouldn't be anything more than friends?'

'Yeah, maybe', Mark whispered.

I smiled, holding Mark's hand, wondering if he knew that I just told the biggest lie of my life.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey everyone, 

I hope you all like this chapter.

Thank you all so much for reading!

Love, 

Lauren

xxxxx