40

'Look at this! Isn't it gorgeous!', I gushed, running across the shop and picking up  alittle shirt, 'This would look so cute on Lucas!'

'Yeah', Mark sighed, as he walked behind me.

'Mark please, don't worry everything will be fine', I said, looking into his eyes.

'I know', he whispered back, 'I just can't help but worry. I just want you betterJules.'

It had been two years since I had been told that I was out of remission, and a lot had happened. I had continued with my treatment, which I hated as it made me tired and nauseous. That meant that I couldn't play with thekids as much as I had done. It even felt hard to look after them, and my mother often came to stay and help me. Lucas had also started school, so I was worried about that. Thankfully, he seemed to have settled nicely, and was getting on well.

Mark and the boys had finished writing their 'Circus' album(I had cried when I  heard 'Julie'),and had released it that day. They had also released the first single 'Greatest Day'  which had been an instant hit.

They had also been meeting up with Robbie more often, and were secretly writing a new album with him. I had been against the idea at first, but when I saw that even Gary (Who had hated Robbie with years) was happy, I decided it might be a good thing. The fans would be thrilled anyway.

As well as being the release day for the album, it was also the day of an appointment with my consultant to find out if the treatment had worked for me. If it had then I would be in remission once again, and if it hadn't then there was no more they could do for me. I tried not to think of that option though.

Both Mark and my mothers were minding the kids until we returned home, so we knew that they were safe.

To take our minds off the appointment I had suggested we go shopping, but it obviously wasn't working for Mark.

'Do you want to get anything?', I asked him, as we strolled into a grocery store.

'Yeah, I'll be two minutes', Mark replied, walking quickly towards one side of the shop.

Even before I saw where he was going, I knew where he was leading me.

Predictably, he stopped infront of the off license section and picked up two bottles of wine.

I sighed, but didn't say anything. I knew it would do no good.

Over the past few months I had noticed that Mark was drinking much more than he ever had before. He would often drink two bottles of wine a night and not think anything of it. When I scolded him about it he told me that it helped him relax and to mind my own business.

I was worried about him, but I was helpless to it. I was just praying he would ease off it if I got the news that I was in remission.

'I think we should be going to the hospital now', I told him, when he had paid for his alcohol.

'Yeah of course',  he replied, taking hold of my hand, 'Let's go.'

With that we made our way out of the store, into our car, and before I knew it we were outside the hospital.

'Are you okay?', Mark whispered, taking putting his hand on mine.

'Just nervous', I replied just as quietly.

'I know, but try not to think about it babe', Mark said, taking hold of my chin and lifting it so that I was staring into his blue eyes, 'I love you so much.'

'I love you too Mark, always', I whispered, feeling tears form in my eyes.

After giving me a small smile, he moved forwards and gently pressed his lips to mine.

'Come on, it's time to go', I said, once we had parted, 'No point in being late.'

'Yeah', Mark nodded,as he began to get out of the car.

As we walked towards the huge, scary looking hospital we held hands, and my heart was beating so hard I thought it was going to jump out of my chest.

We were waiting only ten minutes before we were called in to see the consultant.

After the usual formalities, he asked us to sit down opposite him.

'How are you feeling Julie?', he asked me, when we were settled.

'Okay', I replied, 'I'm just anxious today.'

'That's understandable', he said, nodding his head.

With that Mark's phone began to ring.

'I-I'm so sorry', he said standing up as he looked at the caller-ID, 'I have to get this.'

'Do you want wait until your husband comes back?', the doctor asked, when Mark had left the room.

'He's my boyfriend',I replied, 'And sure, go ahead. He might be a while.'

'Okay then', the doctor said, 'Well Ms Henderson, we have the results of your examinations.'

I nodded as a reply as I looked straight at him.

'I'm so sorry', the doctor continued, with his mouth set in a grim line, 'But your treatment did not work. The cancer has spread Julie, and it will keep spreading. I'm so sorry but there's nothing we can do.'

'H-how long do I have?', I gasped through the tears that had begun to fall down my face, 'How long do I have to live?'

'Two years, maybe less', the doctor explained, as I began to sob.

I would never get to see my children grow up. I would die young.

'JULES YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE IT! WE'RE AT NUMBER ONE!', Mark exclaimed, as he walked into the office.

I turned around in my seat to look at him and his face dropped the moment he saw me.

'No', he whispered to me before looking up at the doctor, 'No.'

'I'm sorry Mr Owen, but, Ms Henderson's treatment didn't work', the doctor told him.

'I'm dying Mark', I whispered, before he collapsed on his knees beside me.

'No!', he wailed, wrapping his arms around me as he cried, 'Please no, you can't leave me Jules. You can't. Don't leave.'

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey guys, 

I know this was chapter is really depressing. Poor Julie! 

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Love, 

Lauren

xxxxxx