002. KEGGER

The pogues are at the docks, watching as the cops question a guy and there's a body on a gurney, but Cordelia can't tell who it is from where they're all at.

"Who's that?" John B asks.

"It's Scooter Grubbs." A girl sitting next to them informs. The name immediately catches Cordelia's attention, her eyes going to the blonde by John B.

Cordelia occasionally does stuff for Lana, mostly just to help the woman out, not caring about getting money or anything. Lana made sure the girl would eat lunch and took a sandwich home for JJ and Cordelia considered that payment enough. JJ glances at Cordelia for her reaction, knowing of the connection.

"He was out during the storm. Check out this pic I got." She shows her phone to the pogues. Cordelia doesn't really mean to, but she sees the picture, grimacing sadly at it. She has a small urge to vomit but pushes it down as she diverts her eyes to her hands, messing with her rings.

"What kind of boat did he have?" JJ asks.

"Somehow, that dirtbag copped a brand new Grady White. Everyone's out looking for it." The girl says.

+++

JJ, Cordelia, John B, and Kie are at the chateau, waiting for Pope to arrive. John B is leaning against the railing, Kie is on the couch, JJ is in an armchair, and Cordelia is in a different armchair right next to him.

JJ leans over the chair so he's closer to Cordelia who is sat hugging her legs to her chest and he taps her knee to get her attention.

"You all right?" JJ mumbles. Cordelia takes a moment before nodding a little and forcing a small smile. One JJ can see right through. He ruffles her hair, going back to playing with his lighter.

They hear the screen door, turning to see Pope rush in.

"Okay. So, um... we didn't see anything. We don't know anything. We need to have total and complete amnesia." Pope states.

"Actually, Pope's right for once. See, I agree with you sometimes." JJ says, standing up. "Deny, deny, deny."

"Guys, we can't keep that money." Kie states.

"Not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, Kiara." JJ says.

"We have to pass that off to Lana Grubbs." Kie says.

"I agree." Cordelia nods.

"Otherwise, it's bad karma." Kie states.

"Bad karma to be implicated in a felony, too. We gotta go dark." Pope says.

"If that means we get to keep the money, then I agree." JJ says.

"I don't agree." John B says.

"What? Why?" JJ asks.

"Just think about it. This is Scooter Grubbs we're talking about, right? Same dude that's buying individual cigarettes at the Porthole. Shit, one time I saw this dude begging for change in the Save-A-Lot parking lot because he needed gas. We're talking about a dirtbag marina rat who's never had more than 40 bucks in his pocket, and all of a sudden he's got a Grady White? Just sayin'."

+++

They're on the dock, JJ and Pope fishing while they convince the latter to be on board with keeping the money.

"All right, so think about it, Pope. How does a marina rat get a Grady White?" John B asks.

"Prostitution." Pope says.

"Square groupers, bro. Okay, flying under the radar, no area surveillance. They don't do that stuff during a hurricane. What does that mean? JJ?" John B points to his best friend.