028. CHARLESTON

They got the truck to a mechanic and he fixed it, the group just sleeping in the bed of the truck, too tired to continue their journey. Now, they're driving along a row of big and fancy houses, close to their destination.

"Yeah, they're a bunch of fancy people. They've had like three governors in the family." Kie states. "They've run Charleston for, like, 300 years."

"These kooks make our kooks look like pogues." JJ says as Pope parks outside of a house. "You sure this is the place, Pope?"

"Pretty sure." Pope answers.

"All right." JJ accepts. The four clamber out of the truck, walking up to the gate. "Fat City, for sure."

"Twenty-seven King Street." Pope says, putting the letter up.

"Talk about home security." JJ says, observing the spikes that go along the top of the tall fence. "Are those spikes to keep people out?"

"No." Kie answers.

"The slave quarters are over there." Pope points. "These spikes were to keep people in."

They go in and walk up to the front door, Pope clanging the door knocker a few times.

"You think that was too much?" Pope asks.

"It echoed the entire house. That's for sure." JJ says. "So they definitely heard it."

"Maybe nobody's home." Kie says.

"It's a big house. Maybe it takes them a few minutes to get to the door." Cordelia suggests. "Or they're old and can't move like Old Lady Crain."

Pope knocks a few more times, the door opening when he's in the middle of a knock. He lets the knocker go as the door opens more to reveal a man, probably in his 40s or so.

The man looks between the four, his eyes landing on Pope last.

"You must be Pope." He points to the boy.

"Um..." Pope starts. Cordelia subtly moves behind JJ, not liking the uncomfortable feeling she gets from the man. "Are you Mr. Limbrey?"

"Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday." The man states.

"Oh. I'm... I'm sorry. My car broke down on the way up here." Pope says.

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of Nowheresville." JJ says. "Sorry about that."

"Yeah, she was, uh, real upset when you didn't show up." The man says.

"We tried to call, but there's no number on the invitation." Kie says. "We got here as fast as we could."

"She also expected you to come alone." The man states, looking at Pope.

"I mean, these are my friends. They helped find the Royal Merchant too. So I--"

"Yeah, the instructions were explicit. Your friends can stay outside." The man cuts him off. He sends a smile to both girls, JJ straightening up so Cordelia's frame is hidden behind him.

"Well, we're kind of a package deal, man." JJ comments.

"JJ. It's okay. I got this." Pope assures. "I'll be good."

"Yeah. We'll be right here." Kie says, giving him a reassuring smile.

"Keep the car running." Pope says.

"Yep." Kie nods lightly. They hold hands for a few moments before Pope goes inside, the man shutting the door after them.

"I really don't like that dude. He's probably a freaking psycho or something. What if they kidnap Pope or something?" Cordelia asks, her nerves quickly building. "Or they kill him? They could stab him, shoot him, cut his head off. What if they chop his body parts into pieces and sell them on the black market?"