015. STEALING FROM A DRUG DEALER

John B pulls up to a pawn shop and they start getting out.

"Hell of a job melting it down, Dr. Frankenstein." JJ says sarcastically, holding the piece of melted gold.

"Like you could've done any better." Kie argues.

"I could have done much better. I took a welding class." JJ states.

"When?" Cordelia asks.

"Yeah, when?" Kie asks.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, hey. Hey. Chill out, okay?" John B tells them.

"That's easy for you to say that. You're not the one that has to pawn this piece of shit off." JJ says. "How did I get this job anyway?"

"Cause you never shut the hell up." Cordelia says. JJ fake laughs before walking away.

"You're the best liar." Pope says as they go into the pawn shop.

"Afternoon, ma'am." JJ greets the woman behind the counter.

"Afternoon." She replies as the group spread out around the pawn shop and JJ stands in front of her.

"I see you buy gold." JJ says.

"That's what the sign say, don't it?" The woman asks.

"Well, I sure hope you buy a lot of it, because I'm about to blow your mind." JJ says.

"I ain't got much mind left to blow, so have at it." The woman says and JJ puts the gold on the counter.

"How 'bout them gold apples?"

"That ain't real." She chuckles.

"That ain't real?"

"It can't be."

"Feel how heavy it is." JJ says. The woman picks it up, struggling for a second. "Mm-hmm. Mm-hmm. Here, let's get some light on that." He hands her a magnifying glass that has a light which the woman turns on.

"Spray painted tungsten." The woman states.

"Spray painted tungsten? Really? Okay. Why don't you see how, uh, soft it is?" JJ asks.

"You mind?" She asks, holding up a couple tools.

"No, go for it." JJ says and the woman hits the gold once, but nothing happens. "Wow. Would you look at that?"

"Hold your horses. We ain't got to the acid test yet." The woman says.

"Ooh. The acid test. My favorite, guys." JJ says, looking around at the group. The woman pours a drop of acid on the gold.

"Well, it ain't plated and it ain't painted." The woman says.

"Ma'am, I'm telling ya, this is as real as the day is long." JJ says.

"It looks like somebody tried to melt it down."

"My mom. She had all this jewelry laying around the house, and she thought it was best to-to melt it down. To "consolidate" it."

"Seven pounds? That's a lot of earrings."

"Okay, to be honest, ma'am... it's really hard to see my mom fall apart with Alzheimer's."

"Mm-hmm. Give me a minute."

"Take your time, ma'am." JJ says as the woman walks off. After a couple of minutes, she returns, Kie and Pope rushing away from JJ.

"So, I, uh... I talked to my boss." The woman says.

"And?" JJ asks.

"And, uh, this is what I can do." She says, putting a piece of paper on the counter.