024. UNKNOWN TEXT

The four pogues climb out of the car, Cordelia dreading the full day of school ahead.

She walks around the car, stopping at the open back door that JJ is out. She watches him take a few drinks from his flask and she rolls her eyes.

"Hey, chill out." Kie tells the blonde, watching him screw the cap back on and put the flask away.

"If I black out, just don't remind me." JJ says.

"That's not funny." Kie says.

The four walk, Cordelia trying to avoid everybody talking about them and staring at them. They stop at a large rock that has a memorial for John B.

"I feel like people are staring at us." Kie says.

"That's because they are staring at us." Cordelia retorts.

"Oh, yeah." JJ agrees.

"Guys, I can't be late." Pope says, starting to go inside.

"Hey. Hey." Kie calls, getting him to stop. "We gotta stick together." She holds her hand out to Pope and he takes it.

"Stick together. Yeah." JJ grumbles and Kie hooks her arm around his upper arm.

"Yeah, no, that's really easy for you three. Same classes, same grade. Just ignore the sophomore, thanks, yeah." Cordelia says, bitterly smiling.

"Okay, stick to you as much as possible. Which won't be much." Kie says. JJ gently yanks Cordelia closer, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

+++

Cordelia sits in science class, not really paying attention to what her teacher is saying and is just doodling in her notebook. She's chewing a piece of gum that one of her classmates gave her earlier.

Cordelia feels her phone vibrate on her lap. She looks at the teacher and sees him facing the board so she holds her phone in her lap, opening the text message.

Cordelia freezes at the picture. A small gasp escapes her mouth, and having forgotten about the gum, it shoots to the back of her throat causing the girl to choke.

Cordelia lets out a string of violent coughs, easily disrupting the class, the teacher looking up at her.

"Are you all right, Miss Maybank?" The teacher asks.

Cordelia lets out a few more coughs, pressing her chest to try to help the discomfort.

"Uh--"

Before Cordelia can continue the door bursts open, JJ practically tumbling in.

"May I help you, Mr. Maybank?" The teacher questions.

"Um... uh, yeah. I-I need Cordi. Uh, Cordelia." JJ says, pointing to his sister.

"Is something wrong?" The teacher asks as Cordelia quickly gets up, speed walking to her brother.

"Family emergency." Kie quickly says, her and Pope standing in the doorway.

"Wha--" The teacher is unable to get the rest of his sentence out as the four rush out of the room.

"Is this a joke? Did one of you do this?" Cordelia asks.

"Why would we get you if we were pranking you?" JJ asks.

"I don't know. To play a bigger part or something." Cordelia says.

"It's not us." Pope tells her.

"I mean, is that even possible?" Kie asks as the four reach the courtyard, going over to the furthest picnic table. There's two other kids sitting at one of the tables.