022. THEY'RE GONE

The four get out of the SUV and it's nighttime and storming. There's a bunch of people and also a news van. Plumb leads them to one of the tents that are set up. With all the people and her fear of storms, Cordelia feels herself become more overwhelmed by the second. She grabs onto the back of JJ's shirt, making sure she doesn't lose him.

"Come on. Right here." Plumb orders, pointing at four metal chairs.

"Sit down. Don't move. We got a lot to talk about." Shoupe states as the four sit down. "Keep an eye on this kids." He tells somebody in an SBI uniform with a rifle.

Cordelia's knee bounces up and down and she picks at her fingernails. She bites the inside of her cheek so she can contain her urge to cry.

The four listen as the police and SBI are unable to find the Phantom. But soon the power comes back on.

"That's them!" Somebody calls out.

Cordelia looks up and out of instinct stands up to see, but the SBI man in front of her steps closer.

"Sit down." He orders.

JJ makes Cordelia sit back down, keeping a hand on her arm as a silent form of comfort. Cordelia's knee goes back to bouncing up and down, her entire body full of nerves.

They start to have a boat chase and John B ends up steering to the south -- into the storm.

They got Ward to talk to them as an attempt to make John B turn back, but it didn't work and they lost the radio signal.

+++

The four pogues are still sitting in the metal chairs, waiting for any news. Cordelia has her head buried in her hands, her fingers tangled in her hair. Her knee is rapidly bouncing out of anxiety, despite her attempt to stop, she seems unable to.

Shoupe and a couple of other cops walk in making the four stand up and meet them halfway.

"Did you find them?" Pope asks.

"No." Shoupe answers.

"So they got away." Kie says.

"We, uh... we lost them." Shoupe states. "I'm sorry."

"You lost them? What do you mean you lost them? Like-Like, they're gone?" Pope asks. "What are you talking about?"

"They took an open boat into a tropical depression, Pope." Shoupe says, his voice slightly cracking.

"So, they're dead?" Kie asks.

"We don't know." Shoupe informs.

Cordelia finally feels her heart drop. She stumbles a little, holding onto the table to keep herself on her feet. Tears spring to her eyes.

"You drove them straight through the storm, man! Are you kidding me? Come here, man!" JJ slightly shoves Shoupe, trying to fight him.

"JJ, stop!" Kie calls.

"I'm gonna kill you, you bastard!" JJ yells to Shoupe as another cop hauls him away from Shoupe who tries to calm him down. JJ fights against the cop as Pope pulls Shoupe back towards him and Kie. Cordelia tries to go over to JJ, but Plumb holds her back.

"He didn't kill anyone, and you know it!" Pope yells in the cop's face.

"We're still looking for him, all right?" Shoupe says.

Cordelia finally feels the tears leave her eyes, pouring down her cheeks as she lets out small sobs. She digs her fingers into her scalp and squeezes her eyes shut.

"Pope, just stop. Please stop." Kie cries.

Cordelia sobs and she puts her hand over her mouth to muffle them.