040. THE CROSS

They get to the church and open the doors, observing the old and worn out building.

"Okay, you're telling me Denmark Tanny decided to hide the cross here?" JJ asks as they walk around.

"Mm-hmm." Pope answers.

"Everybody, just spread out." Kie says.

"Okay, well, if I was a cross and wanted to be hidden in an old church, where would I hide?" John B asks.

"Are you sure that Denmark hid the cross here, Pope?" JJ asks. "Like, are we at the right church?"

"It's gotta be here somewhere, guys." Pope says.

"What if we have to push like a secret button or, like, play, like, a... a certain chord, and then all of a sudden, the ground beneath us reveals the catacombs or something on which we stand?"

"You do realize we're not Indiana Jones, right?" Cordelia asks her brother.

"Aren't we, though? I mean, like, kinda?" JJ counters.

"No." Cordelia shakes her head.

"The Pacifier?" JJ asks. "There's a similar scene in that."

"No." Cordelia still objects.

"How about we try to find obvious clues?" John B suggests.

"Yeah, it's not an escape room." Kie says. "Or Indiana Jones or The Pacifier." 

"It's gotta be in here." Pope insists.

"Look, I can't see where they would hide a giant cross here." John B says.

"No, no. There's no way he would set us up on a freaking goose chase--"

"I-I get it. I know. I know."

"--that would lead us to a church that has nothing."

"Yes, I get it. I don't know what to tell you, man." John B tells the Heyward boy.

"Well, maybe we just missed something." Cordelia suggests.

"No. The clues led us here. The cross is in this church." Pope declares, sitting on one of the pews.

"Pope, it'll be all right. We've had setbacks in the past, and we figured it out. We're gonna find it." John B assures.

"He's right." Kie agrees.

"Look, we've just gotta think about this logically, all right?" John B says as Pope looks through the spyglass. "Where else would you hide a seven foot tall cross made of gold?"

Pope lowers the spyglass, looking up towards the ceiling.

"What?" JJ asks, seeing his friend's expression. They all follow his gaze to the wood posts... that are in the shape of slanted crosses.

"Oh, my God. Look at that." Kie mumbles.

Pope goes to a wall that has wooden shelves on it and starts climbing.

"Pope." Sarah calls.

"Dude, you're gonna get yourself killed." Cordelia says.

"Hey, no!" JJ calls.

"Now Pope's climbing the wall." John B mutters.

"Wait. Pope, wait. This is crazy." Sarah says.

"Pope, this church is old." Kie says.

"Bro, you are gonna freaking fall and die." Cordelia states.

"I'm just gonna--"

"Like really old. This isn't safe." Kie insists.