023. GRIEF

The four remaining pogues are at the chateau, carving John B's name into one of the trees. JJ finishes it up, standing between Cordelia and Kie.

"To John B." JJ says, holding his flask up.

"And to Sarah." Kie quietly adds. She looks down at the box in her hands full of some of Sarah and John B's stuff.

Everybody but Kie takes a swig of alcohol. They bury the box in front of the tree, spending the rest of the day at the chateau.

Eventually Kie and Pope left, leaving the two siblings at the chateau.

Cordelia walks out of Big John's old room, putting her jacket on, passing JJ who is on the couch.

"Where do you think you're going?" JJ asks.

"I'm going on a bike ride." Cordelia states.

"Wh-- you are not touching my bike." JJ protests.

"My bicycle, dumbass." Cordelia clarifies.

"What are you freaking nuts? It's almost completely dark outside." JJ says.

"Which means nobody will be out." Cordelia shrugs.

"Except maybe some psycho kooks. You know, like Rafe. Or Ward. Or stupid Barry." JJ says.

"Jayje, I'll be fine. My phone is charged, I won't stay anywhere for long, I'll be back in no time." Cordelia assures.

"No, Cordi. You're not going out." JJ says.

"You're not my dad. Stop trying to parent me all the fucking time." Cordelia complains.

"You just turned 15. Somebody has to do something." JJ insists.

"You didn't have excellent parenting resources at 15." Cordelia argues.

"Exactly. I'm a mess." JJ says and Cordelia rolls her eyes.

"Okay, given current circumstances, we're all kind of a mess. Given our home life, we'd still be messes. And me in my current messed up state needs to go on a bike ride so I can be completely and utterly alone."

"Just be alone in the bedroom." JJ says.

"That's not-- no. That's not relaxing." Cordelia says. "I don't wanna stay in our dead friend's house in his dead father's room."

Both siblings stare at each other, neither backing down, both of their eyes stinging with tears.

"Fine." JJ eventually relents. "But if I call you, answer the phone. I'm just gonna worry more if you don't." He says.

"Yes, I know. Thank you, father." Cordelia says, lightly rolling her eyes. JJ rolls his eyes at the name and her sarcastic tone.

"Stay out of Kooklandia." JJ orders. Cordelia mockingly salutes him and leaves.

+++

Cordelia opens the door to the abandoned house, quietly shutting it behind her. Ever since John B and Sarah died, Cordelia and Fletcher meet up at the house whenever they can. Usually she'll wait for JJ to be at work -- which he was supposed to be doing tonight, but they weren't busy so they told him that he didn't need to come in.

Cordelia refused to ruin the meetup though and just lied about going on a bike ride. That's always what she tells JJ she was doing if he gets home from work before she does hanging out with Fletcher.

"Fletch?" She calls out.

"Yeah." He walks out of the kitchen, eating a brownie. "I got some pizza." He informs, pointing back to the kitchen.