Chapter 2

GENESIS

"Okay she-wolves, listen up," I call to attention my wolves as they come tumbling out of four black SUVs, excitedly stretching in relief from the long drive from our pack to the Council lands.

Fifteen she-wolves in total. Ten of them are our last batch of eighteen-year-olds. The other five are rejected she-wolves hoping to find second-chance mates - it's a reach for them but they are brave enough to try again. My heart goes out to them all. Knowing how things have gone over the last five years, the odds are not in their favor.

"You have a couple of hours to settle in, I am heading over to Council House and will be back then to see you off on your run. The packhouse is open, choose your rooms and try not to scream the forest down. Any questions before I leave?"

A she-wolf at the back puts her hand up.

"Yes Hanna," I say to the nervous 18-year-old running for the first time.

"Alpha Neo, are you running the sunset run with us?" she asks hopefully.

"Not this year Hanna. And remember while we are here you will address me as Neo. Alpha Quill is still your Alpha outside of Crystal Moon. This will be the last warning about this."

The Alpha power I push into my order is a reminder I'm dead serious. I don't want any fuckups over my title before we get to see the Council.

It's a short drive to Council House along a beautiful, winding, unpaved forest road. I pull up in front of the sprawling, four-story mansion. The Council House hasn't changed in the five years since I'd last seen it.

Parking behind a green range rover that's just pulled up, I watch two males get out. They are immediately greeted by eager-to-serve omegas.

I recognize immediately Alpha Trent and his Beta from Blue Ridge.

Alpha Trent is another typical hot as fuck Alpha. Twenty-five, tall and muscular with naturally bleached blonde hair, tanned skin, and dark blue eyes, he's the council's newest member and a bit of a wildcard.

He bends to pick up the last case and I get a good look at his tight ass in skin-tight jeans. I admire his buns from the safety of my car.

Stop. Not mate. Lyka growls in my head.

Oh shut it Lyka, you don't know, he could be, and I can look if I want. She growls another warning at me and I quickly shut her down before she gives me the shits.

A tap on my window breaks me out of my Alpha ogling.

A smiling omega welcomes me waving a bottle of ice-cold water, glancing at his clipboard pointedly.

I switch off the engine and hop out.

"Good afternoon Miss?" he queries politely, clearly having no idea who I am.

"Highwater, Genesis Neo Highwater - Crystal Moon Pack," I reply shortly, taking a swig of the refreshingly cold water.

Alpha Trent swivels in his tracks and it only takes a moment to lock eyes with him to know for certain he is not my mate. His scent carries over the short distance, fresh and salty like an ocean breeze, not affecting me at all.

Not mate. Lyka states the obvious.

The omega stares at me with surprise and a touch of apprehension. I can't resist.

"Yes, that Highwater, the cursed ones."

Alpha Trent's chuckle has me looking back over at him and he gives me a cute finger wave.