Chapter 30

GENESIS

"Genesis, love, you need to get up now."

I'm not sure if I'm dreaming, but Sebastian's deep voice and the delicious aroma of blueberry pancakes and coffee force my eyelids open.

My body feels like it's been slam-dunked by a freight train but surprisingly I feel rested. Turning my head I see Sebastian in all his beautiful, muscular glory, stealing my breath as he always does.

He's here. He's actually here, sitting on the bed, with a cup of coffee. I restrain myself from jumping into his lap, instead, sitting up slowly clutching the sheets.

"You came back," I whisper taking the coffee.

"Of course I came back. I shouldn't have left like that and I'm sorry," he says stroking my cheek with a sad smile.

"What? No - I'm sorry, I'm such a dick." I sputter and he chuckles kissing my cheek as he places a tray of food over my lap.

"Forget about it, I have. How are you feeling, I know you had a rough night, but I hope I helped a little?" he smiles and pinches a blueberry off my pancake.

I blush furiously recalling it in detail.

"Yeah thanks, it helped for a bit, but eventually, the pain came back and got too much for me, they had to knock me out since nothing was working." Sebastian nods and waits quietly as I finish my breakfast.

He watches me like a hawk. There is an unusual tension about him.

"What is it, Sebastian?" I ask, putting the tray aside.

"Something bad happened. There's no other way to tell you. While you were knocked out the pack was attacked. It's bad. Kiara was able to contact me before the cell towers went down, and I came as fast as I could. Blaze, Connor, Drake, Eric, and Dante are here as well, they responded first. We've had losses. The packhouse and the Alpha house have been torched to the ground."

I can't breathe. How the fuck did this happen? Why did this happen? I'm completely frozen. I feel like I've woken up from a nightmare and jumped into hell.

"Sebastian, please tell me this is a joke, another trial, is this the Alpha assessment?"

He walks to me and puts his hands on my shoulders looking me directly in the eye.

"Genesis, you know I wouldn't joke about this. You need to get dressed and see to the pack. I'm here with you all the way love. Everyone is here. But there's something else you need to know and then compartmentalize and get on with the job."

"What the fuck is it, Sebastian, just say it." I clench my fists seeing pain in his eyes.

"Your father didn't make it Genesis. He was killed in the attack."

If I thought the heat was the worst pain on earth, I was wrong.

This was it.

I open the pack link that I had shut off during my heat and search for my dad. I call for him down the line, until I reach the frayed ends of a broken link.

Pain bursts in my chest threatening to explode my ribs open, ripping me from the inside out.

My legs give way and I slump into Sebastian, sobbing, the grief and rage soaring through me, shaking my bones as Sebastian's steel arms hold me up.

It's all my fault. I asked him to take over. I should have been there.

Grief and guilt rack my body and I cry and sob and cry until there is nothing left in me.