Chapter 21

GENESIS

I walk to the treeline shifting without bothering to strip first.

Lyka knows what I need, driving us through the familiar terrain, finding the most challenging routes until we are running on pure instinct and I'm able to shut off all the thoughts in my mind.

Thoughts of Sebastian and how much he has changed me.

A few weeks ago, had anyone challenged our research I would have shut that shit down without a care. But Sebastian makes me care. I want his approval and knowing I don't have it, is messing me up.

When Lyka leads us back to my house the sun is beginning to set.

Music and laughter flow through the house from the back pool area. I figure Sebastian, Trent, and my sisters have started without me. I'm glad they have, I'm not feeling all that social at the moment.

As I head to my room I pause outside of Sebastian's. I open the door just so I can step in for a moment to let his scent engulf me. I can't stop myself. I have my own damn room but for almost two weeks I've slept here with Sebastian and all of a sudden my haven doesn't feel like my place of zen anymore.

With a sigh of resignation, I head to his shower and wash off the sweat from my run using his shower gel, dry off with his towel, then wrap myself in his forest green robe. It's so damn big my hands are only just peeking out, but I tie it tight around me and leave to get my clothes from my room.

"You might as well just move in here you know," Sebastian says from the bed as I step out of the bathroom.

"Goddess!" I jump clutching my chest and then blush with embarrassment as being caught out.

He walks over to me pulling me close and sinking his face into my neck.

I can't stop myself from wrapping my arms around his waist and snuggling into his chest.

"I'm sorry," he whispers into my neck and I shiver at the warmth of his breath on my skin on my still-damp skin.

"I'm not going to lie, your research is not sitting well with me, but I want to hear you out properly. I'm sorry for being cold. I know it upset you, I could feel it during your run. I don't want to do that to you."

My heart warms over.

"Thanks, look when everyone leaves we can talk OK?"

"Sure babe. Now go put on that sexy bikini of yours, we're all having a pre-dinner swim then I'll get the grill going."

"Sounds perfect," I say feeling lighter in my chest already.

***

SEBASTIAN

"You do realize I'm wasting my time here with this assessment? Your mate is overqualified as an Alpha, she could be the damn President." Trent says as I flip burgers on the grill.

I laugh at his comment, taking a sip of whiskey from my glass.

"Believe me I know. I'm struggling to overcome my own feelings of inadequacy around her - I mean look at this place." I wave the spatula around the backyard and the pool where Gen and her sisters are still swimming even though it's already dark. Freya and Eva squeal as Gen dunks them both before getting out of the pool.

I catch my breath and have to calm myself as blood rushes to my crotch. She's built like Aphrodite, all curves and all woman. I know the softness of her flesh covers firm muscles beneath and all I want to do is bury myself in her breasts that are being barely contained by her minuscule black bikini top.