Chapter 23

GENESIS

"Neo, I can't do this, seriously, I can't."

Eva paces a hole into the floor in my office. I sigh and shut my laptop lid. I'm not going to get any work done with her like this.

"Eva, sit. You're making me dizzy." I order. She flops into the armchair, looking stressed and frazzled. A far cry from her normally composed, perfectly put-together self.

"I know I said I'd be okay with this but, I can feel every mile he gets closer. I'm going crazy!" Eva flops her head on the edge of my table and I pinch the bridge between my eyes. This is my least favorite role. Being a love doctor to my sisters. Crying with them, eating chocolate and ice cream I can do. Giving wise advice, nope. Look at me, I avoided my mate for five years.

"Eva. We've discussed this. There's nothing I can do about Dante coming, I have to do this assessment, and you need to see him and accept his rejection so you can move on. It's been five years. You've suffered enough with his loose dick, you can't do this anymore."

She looks at me with angry eyes.

"You know perfectly well if Lilith would let me I would in a heartbeat. "

"I don't know what else to say, Eva. Lilith needs to stop hoping Dante will change. He's fucked around on you both for five years already he will never change."

Eva stares out the window, silence descending in the office before she turns to me.

"He hasn't done anything since the festival,"

I look at her sharply.

"What?"

She sighs sitting back down on the chair.

"I haven't felt anything since the festival. He's usually at it twice a week at least, but for the last couple of weeks, nothing." she looks at me and I see the hope in her eyes for a second before she subdues it. I want to kill the bastard for the hold he has over her.

"Well, maybe he caught an STD or his dick finally fell off. Who the fuck knows Eva, you need to pull yourself together. Dante is going to be here soon and you need to put some Highwater steel in your spine! Don't let him see his effect on you."

She sucks in a breath and sits up straighter.

"You're right, it's just the mate bond making me stupid. I'll stay out of his way for the next three days."

"That's the spirit," I say with false cheerfulness. Eva leaves and I flop back in my seat with a heavy sigh.

I'm still in my office an hour later when Dante arrives. He comes alone and I offer no welcome apart from sending Kiara to greet him and lead him up to where I'm waiting.

As soon as Dante enters, his overbearing presence fills the room. Like Sebastian, he is typically Alpha. Huge and muscular, actually bigger than Sebastian if I admit, built like a frigging buffalo instead of a wolf. His dark red hair is a warning of his short temper which I know is simmering at the lack of formal welcome. Too damn bad.

He snarls as he enters and sniffs the air - scenting Eva no doubt. He does not react to her scent beyond snarling further. He's one of those males that unfortunately look devastatingly handsome no matter what expression is on his face. He makes me want to vomit. I choke it down and play the role I need to play for this assessment.

"Welcome to Crystal Moon Alpha Dante, I trust you had a safe trip." I begin formally not bothering to offer him a handshake.

He grunts and finally looks at me taking the seat opposite me.