Chapter 34: A Prayer Under the Holy Light

Erza was on top of Jellal while pointing a sword at him. Causing Jellal to release his grasp from Raiga.

Erza: What is your real goal? You haven't really completed the R-system, have you? I haven't been doing nothing for these past 8 years. I researched the R-system myself. It's true there were no errors in the construction or theory of the blueprints back then. But there is something essential missing from the R-system.

Jellal: I told you, remember? You are the sacrifice.

Erza: A problem more basic than that. The thing you lack is... magical power! To activate a magical spell of this magnitude, you need a tremendous amount of magical energy. Even if you assemble every wizard on this continent, I'm not sure it would be enough. So of course, there is no way an individual could store enough energy in this tower.

Raiga: Also, you know about the council's attack and yet, you're not trying to escape. Why is that?

Jellal: 3 minutes until Etherion.

Erza: *Glares* Jellal! Your dream is already over! Do you simply wish to die like this? If that's the case, then we go together. I will not release this hand until the final moment!

Raiga: Erza! Think about this rationally! If he's staying then-

Jellal: Sure... That doesn't sound too bad.

Both Erza and Raiga were surprised to hear this.

Jellal: My body was possessed by Zeref spirit. No words will reach me. I'm nothing but a puppet used for the purpose of resurrecting Zeref.

Erza: Possessed?

Jellal: I wasn't able to save myself. Not friends nor anyone else could save me. There is no heaven... There is no freedom, anywhere. Everything was over before it even began.

At the council, the preparations to fire the Etherion have been completed.

Lucy: That light!

Wally: It's Etherion!

Happy: Fuuwa, Natsu, Raiga, Erza... Hurry up and escape...

Jellal: I knew that the R-system wouldn't be able to be completed. But the spirit of Zeref wouldn't let me go. It's too late now, I'm a broken engine that he's driving... Erza, you win. Please put an end to this. That's what you came here, yes?

However, Erza lays down her sword.

Erza: There is no point in delivering the final blow. The Satellite Square is already deployed above. It's over... for me... and you...

Jellal gets back up.

Jellal: Always the awkward one...

Erza: You're also a sacrifice to Zeref, yes?

Jellal: This is my punishment for giving in to my weakness. My heart wasn't able to handle the huge gap between dreams and reality.

Erza: Didn't you have friends there to fill in for your weaknesses and deficiencies?

Jellal: Erza...

Erza: I'm also repenting for my sin of not being able to save you.

Jellal: I was... saved.

Raiga: Erza, what the hell are you saying!? We need to get out of here now!

Erza: Raiga... Thank you... and I'm sorry.

Erza and Jellal embraced each other in a hug.