ONE | Murderer

ATHENA RUSSO:

ATHENA RUSSO:

Where is he?

"Dad?" I call out. I check every room of this house and he isn't there. Normally he gets back home around four pm. But now it's eight pm and he's nowhere to be seen.

I sit down in the living room. Alone.

We don't have a very good relationship, to be honest. Sometimes he hits me but that's when he's drunk. He's been drunk a lot lately. I do try to care for him but he just ignores me.

Ever since I was in a car accident with mum, he's hated me since. I don't really recall what happened but I do remember asking mum to take me to the park and then we got into a car crash on the way there. I was at the back so I didn't really get injured. But she did. And she didn't make it.

Whenever I and dad get into some sort of disagreement he would bring it up and make me say sorry for it.

I hear the front door open and I look over my shoulder. I hear Dad taking off his shoes and he walks into the living room. He sees me and scowls, "What are you doing here?"

"You were supposed to be home four hours ago. Did something happen?"

He rolls his eyes, "Athena I'm your father. I can do what I want. I can come to this hellhole whenever I want."

"Hellhole?" I mumble.

"Go to your room Athena."

He's drunk.

I glare at him, "No. This place isn't a hellhole."

"Yes, it is! I have to live with the girl who killed my wife!"

My fists clench. There he goes again. Pointing her death all at me but I was just only a five-year-old.

I stand up, "No. You don't get to blame that on me! I was in that goddamn car as well!"

"She was my wife!" he roars.

"And she was my mother!" I argue.

He takes a step forward, "Go to your room now."

I cross my arms, "No. This is stupid. I had nothing to do with her death. It was an accident."

He looks away.

Then thoughts flood my mind. Suspicion creeps into my mind as well.

"Dad, it was an accident right?"

He walks away and I hear him go into the kitchen. I stand there, frozen. It feels like time has been paused.

Why didn't he answer me? It was an accident. A drunk driver crashed into us. In the middle of daylight? No. That can't be right. I mean it's possible but very unlikely. The park was only five minutes away. And the nearest pub is forty-five minutes away.

I snap out of it and go into the kitchen. Dad is looking outside the window with his back facing me.

"Is there something you need to tell me?"

He turns around and looks at me in disgust, "Get out of my house."

My eyes widen, "What?"

He grabs my wrist. "Leave and don't come back," He says, gritting his teeth.

"Why? What did I do?"

He pushes me into a wall and I grunt. I slide down the wall. I see him grab a knife and he's about to stab me with it. Immediately I roll to the side and the knife goes into the wall.

Oh my fucking God.

I breathe heavily.

"Did you just try to kill me?"

He takes the knife out of the wall and strides toward me.

I stand up and run into his room.

I know he keeps a gun in here. He threatened me with it once. I look through his closet and find empty bottles of beer and tequila. Eventually, I find the gun.

God, I don't even know how to use a gun.

I stand up and my hand trembles as I'm holding the gun.

The door opens and he's pointing the knife at me, he sees the gun and laughs. "A little girl with a gun who doesn't know how to use it. So scary."

Tears fill my eyes, "I'll leave I swear. Just don't hurt me."

He runs towards me and punches me. The gun falls out of my hand. We fall to the ground and he's on top of me. The hand he's holding the knife raises. I grab his arm and push it away and try to grab the knife. I grab the knife and throw it over his shoulder.

"You bitch!"

Fuck.

He hits me so hard and I scream.
I try to push him off of me but it doesn't work. I look beside me and see the gun.

Grab it.

And I do. I kick him with my leg and he falls on his back. Shit. I stand up and my whole body hurts.

He grabs the knife and right as he's about to stab me with it but I aim the gun at him. He stops and smirks, "I dare you to shoot me. You murderer."

"I'm not a murderer!"

He shakes his head and when he's about to stab me, I pull the trigger. He falls to the ground and blood is coming out from his head.

I drop the gun and I stare at his body.

Oh my God.

He was right.

I am a murderer.