EIGHTEEN | What?

ELIJAH RUSSO:

ELIJAH RUSSO:

"The Russians tried to steal our shipments," Lorenzo tells me, clearly frustrated.

"Well, at least they bothered to try," I say leaning back in the chair.

He stares at me for a moment then nods, "Yeah. But they haven't tried anything in months. Why now?"

I shrug, "Beats me. I'm just glad I'm not the Don. Too much work, too much stress."

"You wouldn't last a week in my shoes."

I chuckle, "Damn right. I've seen you do this shit for years. You get no sleep."

He shakes his head and continues doing his paperwork.

I look at him closely. I think he might have a theory of why the Russians tried to steal our shipments.

"Why do you think the Russians tried to steal our shipments?" I ask him.

"Athena."

"Why her? She's got nothing to do with this lifestyle. Hell, she's never even killed a person before."

"She hasn't done anything. But everyone in the underworld knows she's back. Including Hades. We need to make sure she never meets that son of a bitch—"

"We have never met him."

"That's a good thing, Elijah. He's more insane than us. Fucking crazy in the head. But I have a feeling the Russians want her. She's an heiress for goodness sake. She holds so much power and she doesn't even know it."

"And we won't let anyone touch her."

"Mai più."

Never again.

I wonder where everyone is. I know the twins went to some street fight. Ares went to the grocery shop to get some ingredients so he could make a cake with Greta since he finished the ingredients we had by trying to do it himself. Marcello? Now he's a mystery. I have no idea where my little robotic brother is.

Athena? Library. I was following her around the house when she was exploring. She found the game room, indoor pool, living room, and other rooms. Then she went to the library with a grin plastered on her face. I left her to it knowing she's enjoying herself there.

Although she does trap herself in her room. It must be boring trapping yourself in a room all day, every day. She's a bottle filled with secrets and mysteries. All I really know about her is that she's good at Uno. Oh! And that she apparently can drive.

Diego walks in and looks at us in panic.

Immediately, I lean forward, "What?"

"Athena isn't in her room."

Lorenzo stands up, "What do you mean she isn't in her room?"

"I went to take up food for her as you ordered me to but she isn't there."

I look at Lorenzo. He did that?

"Have you searched the house?" I ask.

He nods, "The staff and guards are looking for her. None of them have found her."

"Yet," Lorenzo grits, storming out of the room.

I follow after him, "Let's double-check if she's in her room. Okay?"

He stops walking and walks up to me, "If Diego says she isn't in there. She isn't. Now try to search for her in the east wing while I check the west."

"Okay, big boy. Don't forget to breathe while you're at it."

He grips my collar and pushes me to the wall. "I don't think you're understanding how big of a deal this is. We've lost her once. I'm not losing her again."

I push him off of me, "Stop wasting time. You check the east, I'll check the west."

I walk away from him and I can't help but smile. He cares for her.

And yes, I know. The library is in the east wing. We have cameras in every room. Not in the bedrooms. I would not like to see the girls Domenico brings home. I've checked the cameras and she's perfectly fine.

Now that I don't need to bother looking for her I need to sit down somewhere and watch Gilmore Girls.