FORTY-FOUR | Obey

i really went a bit too far with this chapter but i wanted to experiment. i feel a bit crazy for writing something like this but i want you to know what type of pain she going through so you can understand her trauma in the second book :)

 i feel a bit crazy for writing something like this but i want you to know what type of pain she going through so you can understand her trauma in the second book :)

ATHENA RUSSO:

I'm chained to a wall in the dark.

I've never been scared of the dark. In fact, I found comfort in it. I liked being alone in the middle of the night because it was so quiet. I felt like I was the only person in the world.

But now I am really starting to hate it. Because I'm the only person in this pitch-black room.

Out of every nightmare I've had, this one is the worst. I'm stuck. No one is tormenting me. No one is telling me what I've done wrong. I'm stuck. It's silent. Too silent. I don't hear anything other than my breathing. I'm stuck. Alone with my thoughts. The type of thoughts that would drive anyone insane.

I tug on the chains but, alas, nothing happens. I don't know why I keep trying. My attempts are useless.

The worst thing about this is that I don't know how long it's been.

It's pitch black in here because there are no windows, no source of light, there is nothing other than four walls, and me, chained up to a wall.

Isn't that just so amazing?

My arms ache, my legs ache, and my whole body ache.

Couldn't they have just tired me to a chair? That would've been so much better than this.

For the first time, I hear something other than my breathing. I hear footsteps. I listen closely to the footsteps. It's a man. The shoes have a wooden heel. The footsteps stop, and I stare at the door.

I keep my mouth shut, as I hear a jingle of keys and the sound of the door unlocking, then the man walks away.

What's the point of that?

I hear a bunch of heavy footsteps now. I try to listen to see how many they are but I can't since they all walk at the same time, and they're not talking.

The door creaks open and I hold my breath.

Okay. That's new.

Five men enter the room. One of the places down a table white far from me. One of them places weapons down on the table.

I freeze.

Then the two men leave and there are only three left. They patiently stand there, looking at the door.

I awkwardly clear my throat to get their attention, which I do. "Sorry to ask but who are we waiting for?" I ask, my voice hoarse because of my dry throat.

They all stare at me, not giving me an answer. "Well?" They look away, ignoring me. I roll my eyes. Okay. Be like that then.

I know and I need to stay calm and focused but all I really want is to get out of here and go back to my brothers. I frown. Do they know where I am? Are they looking for me? Are they going to save me?