TWENTY-SIX | Revenge

ATHENA RUSSO:

ATHENA RUSSO:

Today Marcello, Elijah, and Lorenzo are coming back. I saw Ares and Dante at breakfast this morning. I haven't seen Domenico since yesterday.

He seemed off. Like every time he looked at me, it was like he was going through some sort of flashback. It was like he was reliving a memory. I shrug it off, he's always kind of been like that.

My legs start to ache from standing up so I sit down on the cold marble stairs. I watch the front door. Marcello didn't tell me what time he was coming so when I woke up I quickly checked his room just in case they came home early in the morning. Well, actually I knocked on his door. No one answered so I figured they weren't back yet.

"Why are you sitting on the stairs?"

I look over my shoulder and see Dante standing at the top of the stairs. "I'm waiting," I tell him, looking back at the door. I hear him come down the stairs and he sits next to me.

"Waiting for who?" He asks, confused.

"For Lorenzo and the others to come back? I called Marcello yesterday and he said they were coming back today," I calmly answer. He falls silent and I continue watching the door.

"You should be resting, you know. I can't have you fainting again."

I look at him. "Why didn't you visit me when I was in the hospital? Why did none of you stay with me? Why did Ares stay with me for the whole time I was there?" I ask, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Lorenzo didn't let us. Well, he didn't let me or Dom visit you," he says quietly. I furrow my eyebrows, "Why would he do that?"

He shrugs, "I'm not sure. He wouldn't tell us why. But we know what you did. Before you came here. I kind of figured he wanted to give you space after you told him." I look away and stare at the ground.

Great. So he told all of my brothers. Perfect.

"I didn't want to do it. But he was going to kill me. I didn't want to die," I whisper.

Dante puts an arm around my shoulder and leans closer to me. "Well, he's gone now. And you did a good job of getting rid of him."

With wide eyes, I gape at him. I shake my head, "No. You're not supposed to tell me I did a good job."

"It was in self defense," he whispers.

"I know that. I know that."

"Then what's the problem?"