THIRTY-FIVE | Traumatized

I am so sorry when you read the end of this chapter.

Trust me, don't skip to the end and spoil it.

You will need to read this chapter and remember the names mentioned in it because they will be mentioned on later on and you might be confused.

ATHENA RUSSO:

ATHENA RUSSO:

I swiftly search under the desk, the bookshelves, and the floorboards in Lorenzo's office.

Should I be here? No. Am I still going to invade his privacy? Yes. I need to get some sort of proof that I'm not going crazy. I need answers.

Sighing, I open the drawers. I find a bunch of papers and I lift the papers up, furrowing my eyebrows.

I find a file with my name on it. Why would Lorenzo have a file on me? I cautiously open it and read it.

He has a background check on me, school records, hospital records, my records with the police.

Ew. That picture of me is so ugly.

And then my fake parents. Darren Black died from murder. Megan Black died from an intentional car crash.

Intentional car crash? It was an accident. It must've been. I shake my head. I was in that car crash. Who would want to crash into a car on purpose? Someone supposedly wanted to shoot me but shot Bianca instead.

What if that car crash was supposed to kill me? I'm going to inherit billions of money in three years. That could be a motive.

What if they thought they got the job done but now I'm back. People must know I'm back. So whoever tried to kill me back then must know I am alive now and want to finish the job they thought they finished but didn't?

I shake my head and continue reading my file. Once I'm done I put it back and check the other drawers. I lift a piece of paper from one of the drawers and read it.

It's a printed-out email. From a person named Hades Volkov. It's a short email but it seems important.

'See me at this spot on 24/11/16 at 16th Avenue. Bring your sister. I want to see her. If you don't bring her you can kiss your dreams of destroying the Russians goodbye.'

Who is this man? And destroying the Russians? Why would he want to see me? Who are the Russians? That's only a few months away because right now we're in June. I don't understand anything.

My head hurts from all this thinking.

I put the paper back and open another drawer. There are multiple files with unfamiliar names on them.

I look through the names a find a name written in capital letters while the others aren't. I take it out and read the name.

Yakov Orlav.