13: A Mistake

13: A Mistake

"Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime."

"He's asked for you." Lady Cavill's sweet voice rang through her mind, snapping her back to reality.

"Huh?" Valerita faced Lady Cavill with a bewildered and confused expression.

"Go on straight ahead." Lady Cavill informed.

Valerita followed her instructions and entered Michael's ward. The smell of medicine and detergent hit her and she could hear the constant beeping of machines echoing in the room.

Michaell was lying on the bed with tubes in his hands connected to the machines and a thick layer of bandage around his head.

She stepped closer and saw the bruises and scratches on his face and traces of dry blood covering the open wounds. His eyes were wide open and bloodshot. The color of his skin was no longer the sexy tan it used to be, but pale and wrinkly instead. The rest of his body, from his neck below, was covered with the bed sheet, but Valerita could see the bump of the cast on his left leg.

He was broken.

"Michael? How do you feel?" Valerita mumbled slowy and quietly.

He chuckled. "How do you think I feel, Val?"

"Broken."

He smiled. "Listen. I am sorry."

"For what?"

"Kissing you that night in the club. And the other night as well. It was a mistake. I shouldn't have done that."

A mistake?! That's how he saw our kiss as. He regrets it.

Tears welled up in her eyes, but Valerita gulped and blinked them away. "It's fine. We'll just call it caught up in the moment." She sighed.

He nodded.

Valerita couldn't keep her tears shut for long, looking at the satisfied look on his face.

He's glad I'm not lingering in our kiss for long. He's moving on and thinks I'll do the same. But I can't. No matter how hard I try to deny it. I was falling for him.

"You should rest. And I have some work pending. I'll go now." Valerita blurted quickly and left the ward hastily.

She rushed to the ladies's room and couldn't hold her tears back anymore.

He doesn't like me. And probably never did. It's just a fling. A mistake. Like Mike.

*

"Are you alright, Ms. Rita?" Although very sweet and soothing, Christy's voice wasn't able to make Valerita feel any better.

Valerita was infront of her mirror, combing her hair, getting ready for office.

"I'm fine. Why?" Valerita asked her.

"You're not, sweety. When was the last time you got ready for work all by yourself. You always ask my opinion. What happened?" Christy countered.

Valerita sighed, and tears slowly spilled from her eyes.

Christy came closer and gave her a refreshing hug.
"Tell me all about it dear."

Valerita couldn't deny the fact that she needed to pour her heart out to somebody sooner or later. Else the situation will kill her from inside.

So she did it. She Christy everything. Beginning from Mike to Michael. How the both of them broke her heart. How they clearly thought she was a mistake. How she loved them with all her heart, but they betrayed her.