22: Let's Play

22: Let's Play

"I will not be another flower, picked for my beauty and left to die. I will be wild, difficult to find, and impossible to forget."

Valerita was sitting aimlessly in her office playing around with the spectacular piece of jewellery around her ring finger.

A knock sounded on the door, snapping the distracted woman out of her thoughts.

"Come in." She breathed.

"Good morning, Ms. Monroy." Pamela said forcibly, and she looked a little mad, as she strode towards Valerita's desk.

"What the hell Rita?!" Ok. A lot mad.

Valerita lifted her head in confusion.

"You're getting married and you didn't even tell me?!" Pamela cried out.

"Oh hell. I'm so sorry. I've just been over my head lately and didn't get around to it."

"Didn't get around to it? You are not getting away that easy, missy. Tell me everything. Don't you miss out a single detail."

"Tell you what?"

"How he proposed."

You have no idea. Valerita thought to herself.

The women spent the afternoon gossiping over Valerita's potential love affair, of which she had to omit quite a few details when explaining to Pamela how the situation came to be. In the end, Pamela had a draft of the most romantic love story she could imagine. More or less.

"So when's the engagement party?" Pamela finally asked, more so to herself.

"How am I supposed to know?" Valerita mumbled tiredly.

Paying no heed to her friend whatsoever, Pamela continued muttering to herself. "It'll have to be right after getting back from California."

That perked up Valerita's interest. "Oh schucks! Pam! I completely forgot about my flight tomorrow. Oh God, I hope Christy has everything packed."

"Don't worry, I'll give her a call right away." Pamela assured her.

After Pamela left, Valerita decided to get some actual work done. Files and files of business transactions and other documents had piled up on her desk. She spent hours fixing them all up before letting out a long sigh and stretching her arms to rest back on her chair, when a new folder slid onto her now clean desk. Following the neat hands on the file, she faced up to see Michael staring down at her intently.

It was amazing how his warm onyx eyes could help her relax after such a long day.

"What are you doing here?" She breathed.

"Can't I meet my future wife?" He simply shrugged.

"Not if she's just another business deal." She muttered irately.

"Is that what you think?" His tone panned into a more frustrated one. "You've got it all wrong, Val. You're not just another business deal. You're not a deal. Period."

"How do I know you're telling me the truth?"

"Believe m–"

"Forget I ever said anything. Just tell me what this is." She said pointing to the file he'd placed on her desk.

He let out a defeated sigh and replied nevertheless. "This is our contract. I thought you'd like to.... to...." It was unusual for Michael's speech to falter, but he recuperated immediately. "To read through it."

"You can leave that here and I'll just go through it when I'm back."

"Back from where? Where are you going?"