23: I Know

23: I Know

"If I'm lucky, something new and explicable often appears in front of me. I am always surprised by the mystery that my life has painted. But that right there isn't excitement. It's shock."

Valerita had to say, it was slightly disheartening that Michael wasn't in the room when she came out of her shower. But like every other time, she didn't put much thought into it. He's a grown man, and can sure as hell do anything he likes. And she has no right to question him.

But he could've told you about it before he left to not leave you worried. Her brain had other thoughts.

Just then, she had walked herself near the dressing table and noticed a neatly written note, addressed to her.

Dear Val,
Had to leave for some urgent work. You can spend the day as you like. A trusted driver is at your beck and call downstairs at the lobby. You know him.... Joe. Here's an emergency number of mine. Take care of yourself, and don't wander off on your own.
-Michael

His letter was straightforward and pretty professional, yet she thought hard over his choice of words Take care of yourself.

Snap out of it, Val. He doesn't care. Those are just words on a paper. How do you know he even meant them?

Within twenty minutes she was ready and headed downstairs for a quick outing. After all, what was a beautiful young lady supposed to do lying around in the room.

She met Joe at the main lobby like Michael had said in his letter.

"Good afternoon, ma'am. The car is at the parking level. I'll just go bring it out front. Then we may leave wherever you wish to go." She nodded, wordlessly. And then, he left.

She tried hard not to think about what she really wanted to do. I mean, she's a grown woman for crying out loud. And if he really cared, he would have told her this directly. Rather than just rush a quick letter. She wasn't asleep. She was only in the shower. And, she is his fiancé.

Is that you? Or just your battered head that's acting overpossessive?

Valerita sighed. It's true. She was overreacting. But..

She thought of it all some more whilst walking out the building and hoping to find Joe out front at the door. But he was nowhere to be found.

"Looking for someone?" A familiar voice sounded beside her and as she turned to her right, to find a smirking Jordan, standing proudly in front of her.

"Yes, my driver." She replied simply.

"Give him the day off." She knew exactly what he meant by that, but wasn't going to fall for it. After all, he hurt her too. A little fight and a friend didn't tell his friend they were leaving the state and might never see each other in a long while. Yup, not a friend at all.

"How have you been, Dan?" She changed the subject.

He gave her a skeptical look, but shrugged it off anyway. "Good. And I know you have been too." He looked down at her hand and it didn't take her long to figure out he was looking at the engagement ring.

"Yes, yes I am. What are you doing here?" Surely by 'here', he knew she was talking about the hotel.

"I came to see you, actually." He said, nonchalantly.

"Me? Whatever about?"

He was silent for a moment, like he was seriously contemplating what he was going to say next.

"You're making a mistake."

At first, Valerita didn't understand what he meant by that. Either that, or she just didn't want to accept what he was saying. Maybe a little bit of both.

"What mistake?" She still asked, irritatedly.

"Oh don't give me that cr*p! You know what I'm talking about. Michael is far from right for you. He doesn't deserve you."

"And what? You're the right one for me? Stop fooling me around."

"No! That's not what I meant. Don't put words in my mouth."

"The truth hurts Jordan. But I never put you as the jealous, clingy type."

"Go on. Let it all out, Rita. But that still won't change the fact that I'm right. That you know you don't want this. And you know it's not right."

"You have no right–"

"I do as part of humanity! Because I know that Mike was–" he stopped himself before getting too far. No matter how badly he wanted the woman, he wouldn't destroy a life long friendship with Michael. Moreover, it would crush Valerita's heart like a grape.

"Mike?" Valerita whispered. Hearing somebody say his name after so long tugged at her heartstrings. "How do you..? You.. Tell me!" She looked at Jordan with fierce eyes.

"I can't. I mean, I won't. I–"

Water welled up in Valerita's eyes, and she forcefully repeated, "Tell me!"

"Ma'am, the car is ready for you." Joe interrupts them suddenly, and she quickly blinked back her tears.

"You know what?! Forget it! Mike is my past wound. I've moved on. I don't want to know." She spat at Jordan then turned to Joe, "I've changed my mind. I won't be going anywhere. And please, get this man out of my sight. I just can't.. I don't wan't–" she didn't bother to finish and turned around to face away from him.

So much for having a bodyguard, she thought, as Jordan calmly fought over Joe trying to hold him back.

Yes, normally, any other woman in the world would want to know what Jordan was going on about, but not Valerita. She wanted to keep her past away from from her present. After all, the most Jordan could know about him was that he destroyed her. End of story.

Yet, when he said the next words, "If you don't believe me, try asking yourself, why would I lie," she was a little confounded. Yes, he does have one reason, that he might not still be over her. But that she couldn't be sure that that's all.

"What's going on?" A new voice spoke.

Valerita stiffened hearing Michael's voice. I believe the phrase we're looking for here is: Could this get any worse?

AN

Alright, I accept. A kind of short chapter. But, overall, we at least get some insight on Jordan and his opinions.

What do you think he's on about?

♥K²