9. I Haven't Seen the Light in Ages

Art by @AthenaSteren on Twitter

3rd Person Omniscient POV

1 month later

"Dream," Y/N arrives in his cell.

"Yeah?" He has his back turned writing.

"Come here."

He closes the book and smiles. As he walks towards her, he is pulled into her hug. He hugs her back and smiles against her chest.

He pulls away and notices she grabs his journal and places it in her belt.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Dream asks with a hint of alarm.

She ignores his question and instead pulls out some chains for his wrists, ankles, and neck. He groans.

"So we're going to the showers today I presume," he says as she snaps on the last cuff.

"You'll see."

Y/N moves him onto the bridge and shoots the lever with an arrow from her bow. It moves instantly.

"Nifty trick," He comments but is ignored.

She grabs him and pulls him through the corridor with her sword drawn. Dream doesn't say a word. They pass many doors until they reach a dark grey door.

"What's in here?" she ignores him.

Y/N turns the knob and shoves him through.

Fortunately, his wrists are chained in front of him so he manages to stop his fall,
on green grass.

Dream gets up and gasps, squinting into the sunlight.

The sky is a bright blue, the grass is bright green, and the smell of fresh air. The sound of birds chirping.

He turns around in wonder.

"Missed the outside world?"

Y/N comes behind him and lightly tugs the chain.

"Yeah, it's great."

He feels her unlock his ankles and throw the chain inside the prison.

He takes off running and she chases him. They run through the grass, he feels her gaining on him and he speeds up. She cuts across the field and tackles him. Putting her knees onto his shoulders and her hand on his neck.

"I wasn't going to," he says truthfully.

"Mhm sure"

"I'm serious," he puts up his hands in surrender. "I wanted to stretch my legs after being stuck inside for so long"

"Alright fine."

Y/N gets off him and holds out a hand. He takes it.

Dream walks beside her as they walk around the courtyard.

"What do you want to do?"

She asks laying down on the grass and glancing at the clouds. Dream follows her lead and also glances up at the sky.

"I just want to soak in the feeling of freedom for a bit longer."

The two of them lie next to each other for a few minutes. Their hands lie on the grass nearly touching.

"So anything else you want to do? We have another hour or so out here. They're cleaning your cell again."

"Uhm well, I kinda have a dumb idea."

"Let me hear it."

"I want to combat train."

"Alright" she gets up and starts throwing her armor onto the grass.