86. Power

Art by @ktchelle12 on Twitter

3rd Person Omniscient POV

Y/N runs away from the castle, heading straight for the stronghold. She can't wait to tell Jean the news.

Y/N opens the portal and steps onto the End Island.

Jean is perched in the middle of the fountain. As soon as she sees Y/N, she hisses and a small spurt of flame shoots from her mouth.

"Woah, Jean, are you okay?" Y/N steps back hesitatingly.

The dragon shakes her head a couple of times.

"Sorry, I thought you were someone else."

"What do you mean?" Y/N moves closer and runs her fingers along Jean's scales. "I thought the portal was sealed off."

"It was, but somehow this guy got in. He tried to kill me and almost succeeded. He destroyed all the healing crystals," she glances at the empty pillars.

She remembers the arrows shooting at each crystal, hitting them all perfectly. With each crystal destroyed, her hope to heal slipped away.

"Who was it?"

"They called themself Illumina. They were really good, better than anyone I've seen. Before they could kill me, I hit them off into the void."

"So they're dead?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I have some news that might cheer you up. DreamXD is dead. I killed him with the Death Book."

"Really?" Jean's face lights up and she smiles. "Did he suspect it?"

"No, I pulled it at the last second after I agreed to join him. He was furious."

"I figured. Did you get his necklace?"

"Uh yeah, I did, and his mask." Y/N pulls out the mask and eye of ender necklace.

"Good," Jean closes her eyes. "What are you planning to do with his power?"

"I'm not sure, maybe give it to someone who deserves it? But it's really powerful and it could easily make someone corrupt and power hungry."

"Well you might have to, someone has to take over the position of god of these worlds."

"What about you? I'm sure there's a way to free you."

"Even if there was, I don't have time."

"What do you mean?"

"Y/N— it's too late for me," Jean looks sad. She opens her wings to reveal a deep slash across her chest. Oozing pinkish-purple blood. "I've been hanging on the best I can after my fight with Illumina, there's nothing you or I can do."

No, this can't be happening.

"Jean— can't I revive you?"

"No, XD made sure that the Revival Book only worked on him, not other gods. That's how I figured out that it played to my disadvantage."

"Jean, you can't die, I need you!"

"No Y/N, you can do this. You need to take over as god of these worlds."

"I— I can't! I don't know how and I can't do this alone!"

"Then find someone, someone you can give DreamXD's power to and rule with."

"Jean, this isn't right, after all you've done—"

"Y/N, just take my egg," her wings open to reveal the black egg, sheltered away against her dark scales. "Put it over a fire, it will hatch and the closest person to it will get my power."