14. Snowfall

December 24

3rd Person Omniscient POV

Dream sits in his cell furiously pacing, trying to plan his escape.

I need a plan. A foolproof one.

He glances at the calendar.

December 24 already? Time has gone by so fast. It's almost been a year in prison. Yet I feel happier than ever.

Dream continues to pace until he hears the lava falling. Y/N moves across the bridge holding something in her hands.

"I just had lunch a few hours ago, it can't be dinner already."

"No," she smiles and puts something small and round into his hand. "I just baked them."

"Mmmm," he crunches through the cookie and she hands him another.

"Now come on," she pulls him lightly and starts unlocking his chains.

"Where are we going?"

"It's Christmas Eve and I think you deserve some outside time."

He nods excitedly and finishes his cookie as she snaps on the last cuff so he can walk. This time though, there aren't chains around his ankles.

Before they reach the door that leads to the courtyard, Y/N pulls Dream into a smaller room. She unchains his wrists and hands him a coat, thick black pants, thick socks, and brown boots.

"Put these on," he doesn't argue and slips them over his prison outfit. Once he's done, she grabs his wrist and puts her hand over his eyes.

"Wha—" starts to say but is cut off.

"Shhh, it's a surprise," she whispers.

He feels her lead him along toward the door. Her hand turns the knob and he feels a blast of freezing cold air.

She lifts her hand and he eyes squint as they adjust to the bright light. He gasps in amazement.

The ground is covered in a blanket of white. The trees glisten in white coatings and a gentle snowfall falls from the sky. The clouds are a slightly dark gray color and the sun shines faintly through the clouds.

"Wow..." Dream turns in a circle to admire the scenery.

"Here," she puts a pair of gloves into his hands.

"Thanks," he slips them on. He also notices that she is wearing a winter coat under her armor and thicker clothing than usual. Her hands are in black gloves.

Dream takes off, running through the snow.  Y/N runs after him and they tackle each other, laughing.

After some snowmen building, Dream balls some snow and throws it at her.

She turns, hears the whistling noise, and catches the snowball only inches from his face. She stares at him like she's caught him red-handed and smirks.

"So is that a challenge?"

Dream sets his jaw and balls up more snow.

They have a good snowball fight but it ends when Y/N throws a snowball at Dream's knee making him fall to the ground and surrender.

"I surrender," he says putting his hands up in defeat. He flops over onto his back and he feels her lie down next to him. They make snow angels and he glances over at her with a smile.

Snowflakes dot her Y/H/C hair and her face is red from the cold.

After a while, they eventually pull themselves under the shade of a tree, the same one they sat under watching the leaves fall. Except this time, they're watching the snowfall.

Dream leans back against Y/N's chest and closes his eyes. She strokes his hair and puts her face against his shoulder. They gaze at the whirling snowflakes until it gets dark.

Y/N realizes that Dream has fallen asleep, and not wanting to wake him, she taps him lightly on the shoulder.

"Dream," she shakes him. "Dream."

"Mh yeah?" he mumbles, still groggy.

"It's getting dark, we should head inside."

"Okay," he stands up and shivers slightly at the cold.

Y/N wraps her arm around him and opens the door. After locking it behind them, Dream returns the clothing to the room and locks him back up in the chains.

They stop for a brief visit to the showers and then head back toward Dream's cell.

Back in his cell, Dream glances at the calendar.

Tomorrow is Christmas. Last Christmas I spent with Sapnap and George, this Christmas, I'm spending it alone. I feel regret and I want to restart but I also want to get revenge on those who wronged me. I can only choose one.

Y/N returns with two mugs of steaming liquid.

"Here."

She hands Dream one of the mugs.

"Mmmm hot chocolate," he says taking a sip. He shudders as the creamy liquid runs through him, instantly warming his body.

Oh my god, shut up you horny little—

"Yeah, I put in some marshmallows but I guess they melted already," she giggles.

"It's great," he says leaning against her shoulder. He eventually dozes off and she moves the mug so the lava can keep it warm. She drains her cup and watches Dream sleep.

He doesn't have anyone to spend Christmas with. Neither do I. I could spend it here with him.

"Hey Dream?" Y/N asks shaking him awake.

"Mhm?" he mutters still half asleep.

"I don't really have anyone to spend Christmas with, would you mind if I stayed here with you?"

"No, actually that would be nice," he says.

"Great, I'm going to grab some things but I'll be back," she gets up and swims through the lava.

Dream rummages in his chest.

It's Christmas? Maybe it would be a good time to give this to her. He pulls out a piece of paper. Maybe this will show her how I truly feel about her. I could have escaped, but I didn't. I enjoyed being there with her. It was peaceful and happy. I haven't felt that way in a long time.

Dream picks up the mug by the lava and drains the rest of the still hot, hot chocolate.

——————————————————————————————

1,001 words

Next is the Christmas chapter!

Comment any mistakes you find so I can fix them!