19. Return

Art by ???

Dream POV

The days go by slowly.
Food, torture, loneliness.
I begin to think Y/N left me.
My one true friend I have left.
Gone.
Because of me.

I've lost count of the days since I haven't been able to mark my calendar. I hope that it's been less than a week so I can hope that Y/N will still return but I have a burning feeling inside me, that tells me she's not.

The lava falls again and I stare at the ground numbly. Ready to take any pain. The words echo in my head.

Stay strong Dream
Stay strong
Stay strong you muffinhead

"Dream?"

No, it can't be. It has to be a dream.
(Haha dream, I'm so funny...)

"Y/N?" I blink and squint through the haze of the lava.

She rushes towards me and hugs me through the chains.

"Dream? What has happened? Did Sam do this? Are you okay?" Her questions tumble but I don't have the strength to answer.

She unlocks my chains and holds me up against her.

"Dream I'm sorry," she says and I feel her tears on my face. "I didn't think Sam would be this cruel."

She pulls me against her until she's leaning against the wall with me in her lap.

"Here," her fingers fumble for a potion bottle and tip it down my throat. She pulls out a second bottle and helps me drink it as well. I shudder and close my eyes.

When I wake up, I find my wounds bandaged and leaning against something soft. I'm sleeping on the pillow with the blanket around me. Y/N sits beside me, stroking my hair.

"Dream," her voice is like a spell that runs warmth through me.

I reach towards her and she catches my hand and presses it against her lips.

"Why did you leave?" I ask.

She smiles and hands me 4 golden apples and 6 golden carrots and nudges me to eat.

I slowly eat the food as she tells me what happened.

"I left to escape, to clear my head. I was just stressed and worried so I decided to flee, to run. But it only ended up hurting you. I'm sorry, I won't leave you without telling you again."

I slowly finish the last carrot and crawl onto her lap so my head rests on her chest.

"What did Sam do?" she whispers. I can hear the anger in her voice.

"He thought I had something to do with your sudden break. He complained that now it was even more short of guards and blamed me for it. He chained me to the wall and beat me. I was fed raw potatoes and only Bad came to see me. Bad seemed angry with what Sam was doing but Sam got really pissed at him too so Bad had to leave."

"Dream," Y/N says softly. "I want to get you out of here."

"What?"

"I believe you have been in here long enough and the conditions are terrible. I'm going to try and convince Sam to release you."

"Really?" I whisper.

"Yes," she plants a kiss on my forehead.

"What if he doesn't?"

Her face darkens.

"I'll try my best but if he doesn't agree, I'll have to think of something else."

"Okay."