32. I Trust You

Art by @al0xia on Twitter

3rd Person Omniscient POV

Nightmare reaches the clearing and waits behind a tree for Sapnap. After a while, he emerges from the trees. She listens intently for the sounds of others around him.

He's alone.

Nightmare jumps down from the tree in front of Sapnap. He gasps and jumps back in shock, hand gripping his sword's handle.

"What the fuck?" he yells.

"Scream a little louder," she says sarcastically. "I don't think the Smp can hear you."

"Oh I'm sorry," he shoots back with equal sarcasm. "I shouldn't scream when a literal NIGHTMARE jumps down from a tree in front of me."

"You think of me as a nightmare?" she asks.

"Kind of," he shifts uneasily on his feet.

"So you came alone," Nightmare continues and begins to walk in circles around him.

"Tell me," he says.

"What do you want me to tell you? Ask me specific questions and I'll choose whether to answer them."

"How's Punz?"

"Told you already, doing fine," she replies.

"Okay, what is he doing now?"

"I don't know, probably sleeping. It is midnight."

"What exactly happened to him today? Like what did he do today?" Sapnap raises an eyebrow.

Please tell me nothing bad, he pleads.

"This morning he woke up and I fed him some breakfast. Then we talked for a bit."

"What do you mean you fed him?" Sapnap questions.

"Well, he couldn't eat by himself. He was tied to a chair after all."

"WHAT?!" Sapnap yells. "I THOUGHT YOU SAID HE WAS DOING FINE?!"

"Let me finish," she says calmly. "I tied Punz up when I first took him. I fed Punz breakfast and asked him about the offer I had for him yesterday. I'm not sharing that information with you but he agreed to work with Dream and me."

"WHAT?!"

"I would appreciate it if you stopped yelling."

He huffs and sits down on the grass, angrily yanking at the blades.

"But regardless, Punz is fine now. Dream is sort of getting along with him I guess. We're now just training and planning, so no destruction, revenge, or chaos for now."

She observes him, still angrily yanking out grass.

"So, why are you so interested in talking to me huh?"

"I—I admire your skills and I feel bad that I let Dream suffer greatly in prison. I didn't even visit him more than once and only sent him one Christmas card."

"He kept that card by the way."

Sapnap's eyes widen.

"He took it with him during the escape."

"Anyways," Sapnap says. "What I'm trying to say is,
I want to join Dream. I want to be with my friend again. I understand he's changed but I want to help him become better, kinder, the friend I knew."

Nightmare stares at him for a few seconds.

I was not expecting that.

"I'll consider it, you know I have to consult with Dream and Punz as well but I'll let you know when we've made a decision."