11. Taste of Normal

Art by @AltruistGhost on Twitter

Dream POV

With a sigh, I close my journal and look over at the bed. Y/N is sitting on the bed reading a brown leather book. I slowly walk over to the bed and place one knee on it. She feels the bed sink in and looks at me. She nods, letting me know I can sit on the bed with her.

I crawl over to her and read the cover.

"Takes from the Smp. What is the book about?"

"Many different stories, the Wild West, underwater countries," she closes the book with a sigh. "I'm going to get lunch for you, don't do anything stupid."

I nod and as she leaves, I hear the click of the lock.

I wander around the room. One door leads to a pretty nice bathroom while the other is just a closet full of clothes. There are no windows and the glowstone is the only source of light.

I lie on the bed staring at my reflection in the vanity mirror. The door suddenly opens and Y/N comes in holding a tray of food and...
a metal collar with a chain attached.

"N—no." I hurriedly back away, reaching the wall farthest from the door.

Y/N looks at me with a sad look and sets the tray down on the desk. She walks towards me with the chain and collar in one hand.

"Dream," her hand reaches out to touch me.

"No," I wedge myself into the corner and she traps me. "Please."

"Dream, Sam told me you had to sleep with this on. No exceptions."

"But you'll be with me the whole time, I won't escape," I beg. I don't want to sleep with that on.

I just want to spend some time with Y/N, pressing we're just normal friends for once.

"Sam still thinks I might fall asleep and you could slip out."

Her hand reaches my cheek and touches it gently. I pull myself out of the corner and lie on the bed. Y/N puts the chain and collar on the desk and comes back to me with the tray. After sitting on the bed, she props me in a sitting position and puts the tray on my lap. Then she leaves again to get her own lunch. I look at the tray.

A chicken sandwich, a hard-boiled egg, salad, a serving of fruits, two cookies, and a glass of water.

This is what the guards eat? Pretty good I have to say.

I'm interrupted by the click of the lock, Y/N appears in the doorway holding her own tray with the same lunch. We sit on the bed, silently eating until she collects the plates.

"Y/N?" I ask. "Will I ever get out of here?"

She turns and her Y/E/C and eyes meet my bright green eyes.

"I don't know, you've done really bad things. People hate you."

I flop down onto the bed feeling the soft sheets and comforter.

"I haven't slept in a bed in so long. The food, in this room, gives me a taste of what is normal. Not sleeping on hard obsidian with scorching heat, eating raw potatoes."

"I try to make it as normal as possible Dream," Y/N slides closer to me and pulls me into her chest.

I'm met with the soft fabric of her black hoodie rather than her usual hard netherite. She rests her chin against my head and I can feel her smile. Her hands rub circles on my back and caress my cheeks.

"At least you get to sleep in an actual bed tonight," she whispers.

"Yeah."

We just talk for what seems like hours until she finally gets up and leaves to get dinner.

Y/N returns with two plates of steak, mashed potatoes, vegetables, fruits, and some custard.

We sit on the bed eating in silence as we listen to the sounds of Sam repairing the cell.
After we finish, Y/N goes to the bathroom to take a shower and I stay in bed, enjoying the softness knowing it will be gone tomorrow. Then I spot a black leather book in the nightstand drawer. I reach inside and pull it out. Opening to a random page, the date on top, February 7:

I have really nothing to do today. Just like every day. Just farm on my own, and grind for items, the Smp is supposed to be at peace since Dream's been locked up. I've never met Dream or seen him before. I'm considering joining as a guard for the prison. I'm interested to see how it works and most importantly, find out more about Dream. I don't believe he's evil, I want to find the truth and help others see it too.

I flip to another page.

April 14,

I've been patrolling and guarding for a month now and I can finally go and see Dream in the prison. I'll bring him food and try to talk with him. I've heard from Sam that he's being tortured and I feel bad. I've been here not knowing that Dream is being hurt every day. I'm supposed to hate him, but I don't. He's done nothing that's directly affected me so I don't really have a reason to hate him. I just want to learn why he became this villain. According to information from people, it was a very sudden change. He was a good friend to Sapnap and George and then suddenly became this evil, manipulative villain overnight. Why? What caused this?

"Why?" I whisper to myself. "Why did I change?"

I slowly put the book back and lie down again. I hear the bathroom door open and Y/N comes out in a dark blue hoodie, and black leggings, her Y/H/C is slightly wet.

"Dream," she tilts her head towards me. "Take a shower, I'll get some clothes for you. Sam will probably check on us tonight and I don't want him to be mad that you're not chained to the bed."

I nod and go into the bathroom. I take off my prison clothes and hang them on the hook. The shower is made of glass and the tilting of the bathroom is black with some gold accents. Instead of just a bar of soap in the shower, there are multiple bottles of different washes. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, I take a nice long shower. I turn off the water and dry off until I hear a knock on the door.

"Dream?" Y/N asks.

"Yeah?" I quickly wrap the towel around my waist and put my hand on the handle of the door.

"I brought you some clean clothes."

The door opens a crack and her hand shoves a pile of orange clothes at me.

I dress in the prison clothes and finish drying off, hanging the towel on the hook.

I walk out and find her adjusting the pillows on the bed.

After a bit more talking, we brush our teeth and I climb into bed when I turn around and find her holding the collar. I groan and she just sighs.

"Dream, I have to. You know that."

I hold still as I feel the cool metal close around my neck. She ties the chain to the bedpost, leaving me good 3 feet of chain to move.

I slip under the covers and I watch her climb out of bed and put on her armor and grab her sword. She presses something that turns off the glowstone. She plops onto the bed next to me and sits against the headboard.

"I need to stay awake to watch you," she explains. "I don't like it either but it's just what it has to be."

I try to fall asleep but I just stare into the darkness for an hour. Feeling bold, I slowly crawl over until my hand touches her leg. I pull myself into her lap until my head is resting against her chest.

"Dream—" she starts.

"You're still watching me," I remind her, my eyelids starting to feel.

She laughs softly and runs her hand through my hair.

——————————————————————————————

1,415 words

Merry Christmas! 🎄🎁 🎅🏻❄️
Or
Merry Christmas Eve! 🎄🎁🎅🏻❄️

I have lots of time to write now so expect decent uploads. I have some winter/Christmas chapters but those will probably be out tomorrow or the day after :)

Comment any mistakes you find so I can fix them!