28. into the woods

In the dungeon, the next day, guards flooded the dungeon, unlocking 14 year old Karalyn's and 11 year old Mayura's cell, and being strict. "We are going somewhere, and you're both coming with us," they said. "Where we going?"

"Woods."

[•][•][•][•][•][•][•][•]

Turns out, they settled by Aslan's How, infuriating Karalyn, knowing it would turn into a war. Karalyn sitting right beside Miraz with Mayura to her right and Miraz to her left, her arms tied.

As the armies assembled, walking into the big field, with the two girls on horses, their arms tied behind their backs, on horses, their own. And as she looked into Peter's eyes, his not looking at hers, she could tell he thought she was dead, and that he wanted to kill Miraz.

[•][•][•][•][•][•][•]

"That's your next big plan, sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest! Alone," Trumpkin bickered. "Its our only chance," Peter bickered. "And she won't be alone," Susan volunteered. "Haven't enough of us died already," Trumpkin persuaded. "Nikabrik was my friend too, but he lost hope, Queen Lucy hasn't, neither have I,"  Trufflehunter said.

Peter stood up higher and said something he shouldn't of. "Karalyn believed now where is she, exactly. Dead," he said. "For Aslan."

"For Aslan."

"Then I'm going with you," Trumpkin said to Lucy. "No, we need you here," Lucy told him. "We have to hold them off until Lucy and Susan get back," Peter concluded.

"If I may," Caspian said, standing up, "Miraz maybe a tirent and a murderer," Peter's chin quivered at that point, but he stood up tall. "But as king, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people, there is one particular that may buy us some time," Caspian said.

And they agreed.

[•][•][•][•][•][•][•][•]

Karalyn woke up the next morning, her arms tied to a band, just as they were the night before. She heard crying beside her, Mayura's. "Mayura? What's wrong?"

"Isn't it obvious, we are stuck here and we have to sit beside King Miraz," Mayura said. "He is not king, our king anyways. Our king, is Peter Pevensie-"

"And my queen is you."

"Thank you," Karalyn said.

"Get the girls," they heard Miraz say and Mayura kicked while Karalyn let them grab her and go. She sat in front of Miraz's table with a hood over her head, not showing her black eye.

And as three men headed in front of the table and one spoke. Karalyn lifted her head, and looked who it was and smiled. "Edmund!"

"Karalyn, is that you?!" Edmund said. "No, it's the ghost of Christmas Past, yes its me!" Karalyn said. "Its just, we thought you were dead," Edmund said. "Well, I guess you thought wrong."

"Peter, he was doing so bad without you beside him-" Edmund began. "Speak boy," Miraz said and Karalyn sat down, awaiting the news.

He began. "𝓘, 𝓟𝓮𝓽𝓮𝓻, 𝓫𝔂 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓰𝓲𝓯𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓐𝓼𝓵𝓪𝓷, 𝓫𝔂 𝓬𝓸𝓷𝓺𝓾𝓮𝓼𝓽, 𝓗𝓲𝓰𝓱 𝓚𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓸𝓯 𝓝𝓪𝓻𝓷𝓲𝓪, 𝓛𝓸𝓻𝓭 𝓸𝓯 𝓒𝓪𝓲𝓻 𝓟𝓪𝓻𝓪𝓿𝓮𝓵, 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓮𝓶𝓹𝓮𝓻𝓸𝓻 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓵𝓸𝓼𝓽 𝓲𝓼𝓵𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓼. 𝓘𝓷 𝓸𝓻𝓭𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓸 𝓹𝓻𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓷𝓽 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓲𝓷𝓯𝓾𝓼𝓲𝓸𝓷 𝓸𝓯 𝓫𝓵𝓸𝓸𝓭, 𝓫𝔂 𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓫𝔂 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓶𝓰𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓾𝓼𝓾𝓻𝓹𝓮𝓻 𝓜𝓲𝓻𝓪𝔃, 𝓽𝓸 𝓼𝓲𝓷𝓰𝓵𝓮 𝓬𝓸𝓶𝓫𝓪𝓽 𝓾𝓹𝓸𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓯𝓲𝓮𝓵𝓭 𝓸𝓯 𝓫𝓪𝓽𝓽𝓵𝓮. 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓯𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽 𝓼𝓱𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓫𝓮 𝓽𝓸 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓭𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓱, 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓻𝓮𝔀𝓪𝓻𝓭 𝓼𝓱𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓫𝓮 𝓽𝓸𝓽𝓪𝓵 𝓼𝓾𝓻𝓻𝓮𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻," Edmund said, and wrapped up the scroll.

Translate from the last paragraph: I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel and emperor of the lone islands. In order to prevent the abomidible infusion of blood, challenge the usurper Miraz, to single handed combat upon the field of battle. The battle shall be to the death, and the reward is total surrender.

"Tell me, Prince Edmund-" Miraz began. "King," Edmund corrected. "Uh, pardon me?"

"Its King Edmund, actually. Just king there, Peter's the High King. I know its confusing," Edmund said and the girl remembered the smirk and sarcasm he had always had.

"Why would we risk such a proposal when our arms would wipe you out by not falling," Miraz said. "Haven't you already underestimated our numbers? I mean, only a week ago, Narnians were extinct," Edmund clarified.

"Well then you would be a gay,"  Miraz said. "Then you should have nothing to fear," Peter yelled. "This is not a question of bravery," Miraz said and Karalyn stood. "So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordman half your age," she said and a guard kicked the back of her shin, causing her to fall in pain.

"I didn't say I refused," Miraz told them. "You should have our support, your majesty."

"Whatever you decision may be."

"Sire, our military advantage alone provides the perfect excuse to avoid-"

Miraz took his sword and stood up, pointing at the man beside him. "Not avoiding anything."

"I was merely pointing of my lord is well within his rights to refuse," the man said. "His majesty would never refuse," the general, Glozelle said. "He relishes the chance tos how the people the courage of their king," he said.

"You," Miraz said, "you should hope your brothers sword is sharper then his pain."

"And you," he said to Karalyn, "I'd like to raise the reward. If I win, you get killed. If he wins, you shall get your freedom."

"You need to deliver this message and if you don't come back, you and all the Narnians will die," Miraz said, grabbing the chains to her wrists.A

"Yes," she answered and walked away.

She put her hood over her head, and walked out of the small camp. As they walked across the field with two other men slowly. Her hair, put into a ponytail, slowly came out. She limped but with the help of Edmund, she walked over nicely.

"You good," he asked. "Great, besides the black eye and scar on my cheek, I'm good," she said, laughing. "He has really missed you," Edmund said. "It's only been a day," Karalyn laughed. "Exactly," Edmund said, looking at her. "Its how much he loves you."

"Oh don't get mushy on me now, Ed," the girl said, shoving his head away and they laughed.

When she got close enough she realized Peter and all the Narnians were standing outside Aslans How, except Susan and Lucy.

"What did they say," Peter asked. "They agreed, and they have more news," Edmund said. "Who's that," Peter asked and Edmund smiled, looking at the girls face, covered by her hood.

"You might be surprised. It was Kara, she was there, she is her-"

"But I saw her die, she was caught by the Telmarine's," Peter exclaimed. "Did you really though," Edmund asked. "Edmund, Kara's death is nothing to joke about. She died under my account, my girlfriend died under my account," Peter said, tearing up and walking to his brother.

"Like he said, did you really though," Karalyn said as she stepped up. "Excuse me, who are you?!" Peter asked sassily. "This is between me and my brother, thank you very much."

"Oh, sorry let me introduce myself," Karalyn said, taking off her hood. "High Queen Karalyn, the Courageous, nice to meet you," she said, holding out her hand. "Kara?" Peter asked, tearing up. "You guessed it," she said, laughing. "Well, more like I introduced it-" and she was interrupted by him picking her up and spinning her around.