"Be nice to the poor lad"

ERIN'S POV

Its been a few days since I left the hospital and I've been feeling better every day. I've fallen into a routine. I take my meds, shower, eat, sleep, eat, study, take my meds, hang out with mom then eat and go to bed. My parents are assuming school is stressing me so they took me out and I have a private tutor who's coming home. I feel bad because I feel like I'm letting the cheer squad down but Stacy is more than happy that I fell ill. Erika has been coming over quite a lot. She just misses me and I understand that.

As for James, I don't even know where to begin. Fortunately for me he hasn't been flaunting Natalie around here. He also hasn't been home often, if he is I never see him and to be frank I don't know how I feel about that. He hurt me really badly and as of right now I don't want to understand his reasons. He gave up on us before we began. I thought James and I were building a foundation...well it was shaky but it was something. We were good and for a second I was happy. From the gossip Erika's been telling me, he hasn't been with any girl. I mean I guess I should be happy cause that would mean that whatever this is, it's affecting him. She was quite shocked that James is my brother when she found out, but she got over it.

The few times I've seen him he barely looked at me which was quite demeaning. It's not like he's not looking at me because he's sorry it's more like he's disgusted by my sight and I can tell from his body language. As horrible as this sounds I miss him....just us sitting not talking or me sleeping on his bed while he pretended to study. However, I am mad at him I really am.

Alex has been contacting me and to be honest we've been talking quite a lot. He facetime's me before school, practice and after and also at lunch. Sometimes James is behind him and I can see him smiling when I laugh, to which I don't know how to feel. He's so confusing. Alex did promise to come by today, so I am looking forward to that. My friends really haven't asked why I started homeschooling to which I am grateful for. I wouldn't know what to say.

I am wearing a white spaghetti crop top with a green scotch skirt and white socks, feeling cosy in a white fluffy blanket and a pink drink. I am watching Blacklist for the millionth time. Again I'm home alone when the door swings open. James walks in with his air pods plugged in and ignores my existence as he heads up the stairs, a few minutes later mom walks in so I ran and gave her a hug.

"Hey Mom"

"Hey sweetheart, how are you?" She hugs me tight

"I'm good...just bored, but I'm kinda expecting someone to come visit." I respond.

"Oh is it that nice boy you are always talking to?" She asks smiling

"Yes" I blush a little I don't know why

"Hmm can we meet him today,  maybe he should join us for dinner." She suggests

I have been talking to Alex a lot and we aren't exactly dating however, I wouldn't mind him meeting mom and dad.

"Sure I will ask him to come over later then" I say as I pull out my phone and text Alex.

*Hey idiot*

*Stupid nice to know you are thinking about me* he responds and I can hear him chuckle.

*Come over for dinner my parents what to meet you* I text

*Okay let me run it through my mom and I will text you*

I don't respond as I listen to my mom speaking

"What would you want for dinner sweetheart?"

"Please make Italian" I plead and she smiles

"Okay honey, you can go relax while Gloria and I get started on dinner" she kisses my forehead and softly shoves me to the living room. I chuckle then grab my stuff going up to my room. Bored I decide to take a nap.

I jolt awake as I hear my ringing phone. Annoyed I answer

"Hello?"

"I'll be over around 6 is that okay?"

"What?" I question

"Stupid, I will be over for dinner around 6" Alex repeats himself

"Cool, hope you like Italian" I say as I hang up.

I inform my mom that Alex was coming for dinner and she was so excited that she called my dad and told him he had to be home for dinner.

Alex drove into the driveway around 5:45 and I went outside to receive him. It was chilly outside and I instantly scolded myself for not wearing a jacket. He walked toward me and to be honest he looked nervous. As soon as he saw that I didn't have a jacket on he took of his denim one and handed it to me. I put it on and I hugged him.

"Hey idiot" I said

"Hey stupid" he responded

"Erin honey is that him? If it is please come inside it's cold and you're half naked" my mom yelled.

We chuckled then we let go of each other.

"Come on in" I said

James had come down for dinner. We both loved Italian and there was no way he was missing dinner today. He rolled his eyes when he saw Alex but rolled them further back when he saw me in Alex's jacket. I smirked. My mom walked up to us and said

"Hey, you must be Alex" as she extended her hand.

"Good evening Mrs Hallow" he responded

"Mrs H is fine darling take a sit wherever, dinner will be served as soon and thier dad is here." She said

Okay was it just me or Alex was being hella formal. I mean he wasn't wearing a suit or anything but the way he spoke, I'm shook. He nodded in James direction and James just looked at him then looked away.

"So are you dating now?" He asks

"Well-"

"That's non of your business dear brother" I say innocently and drag Alex to the table. 

My dad arrives and as soon as he enters I go give him a hug and I whisper

"Be nice to the poor lad"

He looks at me confused then spots Alex standing looking at him. He smiles at me and says

"Now darling when have I never been mean"  with a smirk.

Well Alex, I tried.