"Oh is this just a situationship?"

Dad and Alex walk up to each other. My dad stretches out his hand for Alex to shake and he does so.

"Good evening sir" he said and I could almost hear my dad laughing.

"Sir? Mr H is fine. Good grip you've got young man" he compliments and Alex relaxes a little.

"Every one take your seats." My mom says

Dad sits at the head of the table and mom sits opposite him James and Alex sit on one end of the table and I sit opposite Alex. We hold hands and say grace then Gloria brings out the already served food. The aroma is mouth watering.

"So Alex do you like Italian?" Mom asks and he says

"Yeah I do."

"Great then" she smiles

''Alex I've seen you before, haven't I?" Dad says

''Yeah we play basketball together" James responds

''And to think Erin didn't want to go with you to practice" dad says and mom, him and I laugh.

James just looked pissed.

"So Alex, where do you plan on going for college?" Dad asks

''Atlanta University or Cal U both universities have a good law program so yeah"

''Law? You must be smart then" mom remarks

''I try" he says

''How modest of you, you always help me with Math" I say and he smiles

''Well you help me with business studies,  economics and accounting so we are pretty even. Plus simple math confuses you. You are capable of doing the much more difficult stuff by yourself."

He says and immediately regrets it when he realizes he just complimented me in front of my parents. I had never seen a boy blush before today. Mom and dad were trying really hard to hide their smiles but couldn't so dad just said

''That's my girl. I'm glad you see her worth and I hope I won't be calling the dean of admission at Cal U informing him to not enroll you after you break my daughter's heart."

Here it comes.

"She's the heartbreaker" James says and for the first time in a while I look at him. He has barely touched his food and the expression on his face is quite obvious he's annoyed... jealous? A girl could dream.

We all laughed that off as if it didn't mean anything. Alex is more tense now and I kick him under the table. He looks at me and I mouth 'I'm sorry', he just smiles and continues eating.

"How long have you two been together?" Mom asks and I literally wish the earth could swallow me whole. I had told mom constantly that Alex and I are just friends. Alex freezes at the question and my dad pitches in

"Oh is this just a situationship?"

"Oh my goodness dad!" I literally can't with them right now.

The fuck does he know what a situationship is? James lets out a scowl. He's been moody all evening and it's getting quite exhausting.

"Alex and I are just friends" I say

"Okay 'just friends' don't close the door when you go upstairs" dad says

This has to be the most embarrassing dinner I've ever had. Instead of hammering Alex with questions my parents were hell burnt on embarrassing me. I could hear James chuckle, this was amusing to him which made me furious.

The rest of dinner was just as bad. I can't believe my parents. Alex however, played it cool and tried to answer thier questions as awkward or embarrassing as they were. After dinner Alex asked if he could take me out for a bit and my dad was fine with it. He said I knew my curfew if I missed it he would deal with me.

My curfew was 9.

Mom instructed me to go change my clothes and to be honest it was cold and I was going to change anyway. I took my meds and changed into a pair of blue boyfriend jeans and a white maverick t-shirt paired with white sneakers. My hair was just in a ponytail and I wore tiny earrings.

I walked back downstairs and kissed mom and dad goodbye. After finally leaving the house I sighed in relief.

"I'm sorry that you had to go through that idiot"

"No stupid, it's fine I understand thier concern. A good looking lad like me with an ugly duckling like you looks really suspicious" he said and I laughed

"You're hysterical" I say

He takes me to an ice cream parlor. We get in and order. I order a banana Sunday and he ordered a strawberry Sunday. We seat at a booth by the window.

"Erin"

"Yeah?"

"I really like you if you haven't noticed. I don't really know what's been going on and why you haven't been coming to school but I want to be there for you. Not in a friendly way." He concludes

I stay silent for a while and I look at him. He's a very good guy and from what he has shown me he is caring. He wouldn't do anything to hurt me but I just don't know. Something in me isn't feeling him in that way.

"I guess what I'm trying to ask is if you'd be my girlfriend"

I mean he's good to me as we are friends and I know he'd be an even better boyfriend. What about my feelings for James? They weren't going to just disappear overnight and I wouldn't want to carry my baggage into a relationship with Alex.

"Alex, I still have feelings for my ex" I simply say. My ex. My ex boyfriend? My ex brother? My ex what?
I could see the color in his skin drain.

"However, if you still want to give it a go after I've told you that then sure."

He's face lights up instantly and he leans in and kisses me. This was a new feeling. It was delicate. As if, if he kissed me harder I would break, to him I was fragile and I needed to be protected.

I guess I was moving on now. Skipping a couple of important stages I had a boyfriend now whom I knew wouldn't hurt me and if he did then certainly not in the way James did.